Installing a blogger template is something that is simple and most people think they know how to do- what they don’t know is they may be doing it incorrectly. For some this tutorial may not be beneficial, however over the last week I have had to instruct several people on how to install their templates properly because the way they were doing it wasn’t working and they were getting errors.
Before I get into how to properly install your template I am going to go over a big DON’T with installing your template- Don’t copy and paste your code into the code box. For one it often creates errors and two it often doesn’t work.
Here are the proper instructions:
1) Go to your Blogger Account dashboard and click on Layout it will bring you to your page elements page
2) Now copy/paste all your page elements in notepad (or any work processing program). Your page elements are your Pictures, widgets, links, HTML, & Text- which are located in your sidebar. You will need to go into each page element individually to save them, this is done just in case your page elements do not make it through the transition of the layout change (which often happens). Once the premade file is downloaded onto your computer- you are ready for the next step.
3) Now go to your Blogger Account dashboard and click on Layout
4) Then click the link at the top of your page named Edit HTML
5) Once at the Edit HTML page, you will need to upload the text/xml file (that you just downloaded) you can do this under the title labelled backup/restore template. You do this by clicking browse, and selecting the file which is your new layout. Once the file is selected, click on upload.
6) Now click save and your new template is installed, go to view blog and you will have a new layout!
7) Now you can re-add your page elements (copy and paste from notepad back into your page element page)
Have any ideas for tutorials? Let me know I would love your feedback!