Sloppy Joes, a standard kid-pleasing meal, is so easy to prepare. It takes nearly no time to put together, but does taste best if it has a chance to simmer for a bit. If you are making it for a party, make it earlier in the day, and just keep it warm in the slow cooker, adding water if it seems to be getting too dry.
Yields 8 servings
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp gluten-free Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
1. In a large frying pan, scramble fry the ground beef over a medium heat until completely browned. To eliminate a lot of the fat, you can spoon the beef into a colander, and rinse under running hot water. Return ground beef to frying pan.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, and then turn heat down to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Serve on buns with your favorite toppings.
Jeanine Friesen is a recipe developer and freelance food writer from Manitoba, Canada. Her blog, The Baking Beauties, is a collection of gluten-free recipes that have helped her sustain a normal life after the diagnosis of Celiac disease. Jeanine truly believes that no one should have to go without, and has done what she can to help others fill the void that the gluten-free diet can cause.