Mexican-Style Baked Potato Soup
Author: Jeanine Friesen, The Baking Beauties
Recipe type: Soup
With the kids back in school, the sun setting earlier, and the nights getting chillier, there is no denying that fall is definitely in the air. Soup makes the perfect meal for those chilly autumn days, and one can never have too many quick and easy soup recipes in their collection. This soup takes all the great flavours of baked potato soup, but with a Mexican twist. Great served with corn chips or Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup refried beans
- 4 large baked potatoes, 2 diced and 2 mashed
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, very soft and cubed
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic.
- Sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, and refried beans. Whisk to combine. Heat to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes, salsa, cheddar cheese, taco seasoning, salt and cream cheese.
- Stir until the cheeses have melted and everything is evenly combined.
- Serve topped with corn chips, a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and onion greens.
Jeanine Friesen, the author of “The Everything Guide to Living Gluten-Free”, is a recipe developer and freelance food writer from Manitoba, Canada. Her blog, The Baking Beauties, is a collection of gluten-free recipes that have helped her sustain a normal life after the diagnosis of Celiac disease. Jeanine truly believes that no one should have to go without, and has done what she can to help others fill the void that the gluten-free diet can cause.