DIY Flower Votive Holder – This is a little story ‘bout how not every craft turns out how it is suppose be (read this while think of the fresh prince theme song:).
Today’s craft was initially going to be made with crepe paper. The petals were so floppy and it just looked messy so I couldn’t continue with that idea. After sitting for a few minutes contemplating how I was going to salvage the idea, I decided to switch over to one of my favorite materials…. cardstock!
The end result was a super cute and cheery flower votive holder that would be perfect in any room. If you wanted too, you could put pens and pencils in it or use it to stash anything else you like.
What you will need:
- Paper (whatever color you like, I used two shades of pink)
- Hot glue
- Glass votive holder (check your dollar store for these)
What you will need to do:
- Wrap your votive holder in a color of your choice. I originally wrapped it with the crepe paper so I just left it on.
- Make your petal shape. I did a round petal but you can switch it up if you like. Make a template of your petal and trace out as many as you will need to go around your votive.
- Take your finger and glide it along each petal, pressing down lightly. This will make your petal curl a bit to give it some dimension.
- Bend back the bottom of each petal to create a platform for your glue. Put a small dab of hot glue on each petal and place around the votive. It is best to over lap the petals a little.
- Once you have all of the petals in place. Take some gems and glue around the center of your flower. This will give it a little extra something and cover up any glue that spilled out when you were putting your petals on.
- Put your candle inside and away you go! I would recommend using a battery operated one just for safety (especially with kids around). You get the same effect without worrying about the flame.
Jennifer Hunt is the owner/licensee of Guelph Mompreneurs, the creative mind behind Imagine With Paper, and a social media footprint in the Guelph-Wellington area with her blog My Big Blue World which is focused on the adventures – and misadventures – of being a mom of 3 boys. She describes herself as a “serial crafter and DIY addict” and sometimes finds it hard to step away from pinterest. Although life can get pretty hectic she has decided to add a new blog “Goddess With a Gluegun” into the mix.