Pink Sticker Pot Stickers Recipe

Pork Pot Stickers

I have written in this space on previous occasions, about how thrifty I am with my grocery shopping and meal preparation for my family. Well this recipe takes my frugal eye, to a whole new level, as every single ingredient that was not already on my pantry shelf, had a 50% off fluorescent pink sticker on the package! The best part is-my family thought that the casual lunch that I delivered was delicious and had no idea that I had done so with a minuscule budget. I served the pot-stickers with a choice of dipping sauces: BBQ, hoisin, spicy peanut and sweet chili and a big bowl of steamed edamame beans covered with a glistening of sea salt.

Pot Stickers

To further enhance the savings, I bought a super-sized 5 kg package of ground pork, browned it and poured off the fat. I wrapped it carefully and put it back into the freezer for another economical supper. In fact, I even rinse the ground meat with a spray of very hot water as its sits in a colander. This way you can purchase regular ground beef or pork and there is no more fact than lean or extra lean that you would pay a higher price per pound for.

5.0 from 11 reviews
Pink Sticker Pot Stickers
Author:

Ingredients
  • 2.5 kgs of ground pork, browned and drained (and rinsed if desired)
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 1 T minced ginger
  • 8 oz. (weight) cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1x 340 g package of prepared cabbage slaw
  • ¼ c finely chopped green onion
  • 1 T oyster sauce
  • 1 T fish sauce
  • 1 T hoisin sauce
  • 1 T sesame oil
  • 1 package of dumpling/won ton wrappers
  • Canola oil for sautéing
Instructions
  1. Place ground pork back into the pan and add garlic, ginger, mushrooms and continue sautéing until the mushrooms have been cooked “down” i.e. have released most of their moisture.
  2. Add the cabbage and green onions.
  3. Add the sauces and sesame oil.
  4. Continue to cook until the cabbage has gone limp.
  5. Take the pan off of the heat and allow the mixture to cool until it is not too hot to handle.
  6. Remove one dumpling/wonton wrapper and place flat onto the palm of your hand.
  7. Place a hefty spoonful of mixture in the centre of each one (the exact amount will depend on how big the wrappers are. A rough guide is: about the same amount that it would take to make a “cocktail” sized meatball.
  8. Fold and pinch the dough completely around the meat mixture, which is likely now more like a ball with the handling.
  9. Gently squeeze the round dumpling to allow any air to escape from the pocket.
  10. Place on a sheet of parchment paper as you continue, until all the wrappers are filled.
  11. On medium to medium high heat, brown the round dumplings on all sites until golden brown.
  12. Serve immediately with a variety of dipping sauces.
  13. Kath’s tip: I had extra filling and a fairly hungry crowd to feed, so I sautéed up some left over noodles and tossed in the extra meat mixture. The result was so delicious that I may just make that next time!

Pot Stickers

Kathryne Grisim grew up in the hospitality business and she and her husband of almost 30 years, owned their own family restaurant at one time.  She currently teaches social media and hospitality and is a food, travel and restaurant writer for Winnipeg Women Magazine, the Canstar newspapers, and her own blogs: www.foodmusings.ca andwww.boomchicaboom.ca.  Food Musings was selected Winnipeg’s favourite blog by Uptown Magazine in 2012 and is Urban Spoon’s number one Manitoba Blog.  Kathryne is proud to be a regional ambassador for Food Bloggers Canada, Canada Beef and Sobey’s.  She is an imaginative cook and especially enjoys preparing food that will demonstrate to her family how deeply she cares for them.  In Kathryne’s world food=love!

Comments

1. Those look so good! I am dying for lunch now! I love how you used ingredients you already had in your kitchen as well.

2. My husband would love this, thanks for sharing!!!

3. Looks good! It makes me wish I could eat pork hehe.

4. These look great! I bet I could even pull these together!

5. I bet my hubs would LOVE these! Thanks for the recipe… look delish!

6. I’m drooling over your pictures. Yum!

7. Ester G says:

Those look fantastic, my mouth is watering! To be honest, I never even knew what a pot-sticker was!! :)

8. nicolthepickle says:

Wow, these look so good. I would buy the ingredients full price for this one. LOL

9. Now I know what pot-stickers are. My kids are going to love these, especially with the dipping sauces.

10. Mmmm, this would be something new for us. I don’t have most of the sauces mentioned, but it looks like a good reason to buy them, since I wanted to try them anyway. Bookmarking!

11. Heidi C. says:

What a delicious-sounding recipe! I love the tip about purchasing regular ground meat and spraying off the fat!

12. I like your idea of rinsing the cooked meat – thanks for the tip

13. Erika B says:

Oh yum!!!! I love these, I want to make them now!!! Thanks for sharing, I will have to share these with the family after I make them!!!

14. Jeannie says:

Great looking potstickers! My son loves dumplings, so I’ll have to give this recipe a try.

15. Victoria Ess says:

Oh yum! These look store bought!!

16. yummy thanks for sharing this recipe!

17. These look yummy, I have never tried them so might have to attempt making this recipe!

I love pot stickers and I would love to make them, but I’m just not so sure about the fish and oyster sauces?

19. Clifford says:

Wow your recipe is making me hungry just looking at the photos. I’m not a great cook but I think I could make these, I love Pot Stickers, you did an awesome job!

20. caryn s says:

this recipe sounds awesome will have to make it this weekend for the family!

21. Valerie Godin says:

Never had those but they look delicious!

22. Something I have never tried before!

23. Suzanne G says:

This recipe sounds delicious and I think I will attempt to make it as it seems fairly simple

24. They look tasty and simple! I bet they would freeze well.

25. Sandy VanHoey says:

I’ve never heard of these but I know I’d love them too. Thanks for sharing a great recipe

26. Thanks for the tip about washing the meat before serving to save on fat. That is a really good way to save. These look delicious.

27. laurie nykaza says:

These look so good and I like the way you have shown us how to do it step by step too. I can’t wait to make them for our family thanks

28. Keara B. says:

These look delicious! Pot stickers are one of my hubby’s favorite foods, but I was always so intimidated to make them… they look so difficult. But this recipe doesn’t seem too bad, thanks for sharing!

29. Jo-Anne Pfoh says:

wonderful idea and recipe thanks for sharing

30. yum

31. Anne Taylor says:

These sound delicious! I always drain and rinse ground meats after cooking them. I’m not sure if it really does anything, but it makes me feel better about what I’m serving my family!

Thanks for the recipe!

32. I LOVE pot stickers but have never made them. I think this is going to be a must try recipe.

33. Ashley Lund says:

We love pot stickers. I will have to try this recipe!!

34. angie smith says:

om nom nom these look tasty!

Trackbacks

1. […] Baked Ham/Stuff Parents Need Vietnamese Lemongrass and Herb Infused Pork Meatballs/Girl Cooks World Pink Sticker Pot Stickers/ Mommy Moment Pork Tenderloin Sliders/Stuff Parents Need Marinated Pork Loin/Six Sisters Stuff […]