It’s lunch week here on Mommy Moment and I couldn’t miss the opportunity to talk about how leftovers make great lunches.
Baked macaroni and cheese using local Bothwell cheese is a favorite in our home, so I try to make extra and then the next morning I put it piping hot into a thermos for the girls to enjoy at school.
- 4 cups cooked macaroni
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cream
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup shredded old Bothwell cheddar
- ¾ cup shredded Bothwell black truffle cheese
- ½ package of bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni 6-8 minutes or till desired firmness.
- While cooking macaroni, fry bacon till crispy.
- Shred both cheese’s together in one container.
- Drain macaroni – while it is straining in a colander , put butter into the pot that the macaroni cooked in.
- Add the cream and milk and stir together. Slowly add in the cheeses constantly stirring. Once it is smooth, add the macaroni and crumbled bacon.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese sauce to a buttered oven safe casserole dish with a lid.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Add chopped onion greens before serving if desired.
- (This recipe can easily be doubled for school lunch leftovers – if you like it creamier, you can always add more cream)
Do you ever pack leftovers for your children so they can enjoy a hot lunch?
Have you ever tried Bothwell Cheese? I grew up on it, and nothing compares.
My husband made a Poutine Dog using the Bothwell Squeak’rs -aka cheese curds- and now all his friends think he is a hero!