Make Your Own Thick & Creamy Greek Yogurt Easily!

greek yogurt

I never realized how easy it was to make Greek yogurt.

About a month ago I started making my own yogurt which the whole family loved. It was a nice consistency and great for making parfaits with, yet there were some mornings I was craving that really thick and creamy Greek yogurt.

Make Greek Yogurt

Let me tell you, I’ll never buy it in the store again – just see how easy it is to make yourself.

make greek yogurt

4.8 from 9 reviews
Make Your Own Thick & Creamy Greek Yogurt
Author:
Recipe type: breakfast
Prep time:
Total time:

This thick and creamy Greek Yogurt is so easy to make.
Ingredients
  • yogurt
  • strainer
  • coffee filter
  • container
Instructions
  1. Put a coffee filter in a strainer.
  2. Put the strainer over a container (or deep pot like I did).
  3. Take your regular yogurt (store bought or homemade) and put it in the coffee filter.
  4. Place the container in the fridge for a few hours up to a whole day depending how thick you like it.
  5. The liquid that ends up in the container is called whey which I love to use in place of buttermilk. I use it in a muffin recipe that is absolutely delicious - I'll be sure to share that recipe with you yet too.
  6. I like to drizzle maple syrup and slivered almonds on my Greek Yogurt.

Once I have my Greek yogurt the thickness I like, I store it in a glass jar or container in the fridge. If I happen to forget about it and it gets too thick, I just mix in a bit of regular yogurt to get get it to the thickness I enjoy.

There are many different ways to make your own yogurt at home and I do plan to share how I make my regular yogurt yet too, for now I hope you enjoyed this easy way to turn regular yogurt into Greek yogurt in just a few simple steps.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. I never knew how. Thank-you for sharing. I love parfaits.

2. greek yogurt is so good. but Im way to lazy to make my own lol

3. nikki robak says:

how simple and yet tastes so good

4. That looks aeasy. and it saves money too!

5. Thanks for sharing, will have to try this!

This is good to know! I’m absolutely crazy about Greek yogurt! Now if I find regular yogurt on sale, I can make my own Greek yogurt with it! :)

7. Jayne Cameron says:

ZI am going to try this. Yogurt is something I love to eat and cook with.

8. Laura Unger says:

Thank you for sharing. I had no idea that I could make my own greek yogurt at home. I love regular yogurt but my kids like the greek style. I’ve been buying two different kinds…nice to know I only have to buy one!

9. Michelle armstrong says:

Always wondered how it was made. Thanks.

10. Richard Hicks says:

I have never tried doing this before but you make it look so easy. Will give it a try !

11. Christina L says:

Yummm We eat so much greek yogurt i bet this would help out a bunch with cutting the grocery bill down! Deff going to try!!

12. Victoria Ess says:

Oh my gosh, really?!?! Thanks so much for sharing! We love Greek yogourt, and this is sure to save us tons of money.

13. Love Greek Yogurt, I am definitely going to try this out!

14. Thanks for sharing this! I’m going to try it for sure! I prefer greek yogurt so this is great.

15. Melinda L. says:

I had no idea it was so easy to make Grek Yogurt. Thanks for sharing!

16. I’ve never really tried plain Greek yogurt..looks interesting…

17. A few years ago, my husband and I went to Greece and had actual Greek yogurt at a little beach café. It was so delicious! I will try this to see if I can recapture that yummy moment – thank you!

18. Tara Gauthier says:

I love greek yogurt, making it would be interesting to try.

19. Wow- I love Greek yogurt. I had no idea it was so simple to make though! This is a must try. This recipe is so cost-effective!!

20. Jo-Anne Pfoh says:

this is going to save me a fortune and give me control on things thanks so much

21. Debbie Bashford says:

So the only difference between the 2 yogurts is the amount of liquid?? I had no idea, will be doing this for sure

22. Anne Taylor says:

Thank you SO much for this! I had no idea about this! I’ll be doing this very soon!

thanks

23. Barbara DeFrance says:

I like yogurt with a bit of fat rather than fat free for the taste. Very few calories are involved.

24. Piero Giorno says:

I love yogurt, and thanks to your easy to prepare recipe I can now make my own.

25. What a great idea! I.ll have to try this!

26. Oh yes, recipe for the regular yogurt first, please, and then I’ll think if I can make it to DIY Greek yogurt :) It does look easy, though…

27. Ann Freele says:

I love this ! I like the consistancy of Greek Yogurt, but not nessarily the ‘aftertaste” or the price! I need to try this immediately

28. Gonna give this a try!

29. I love Greek yogurt. I will try this.

30. Jo-Anne Pfoh says:

Holy cow i never knew it was this easy .. thanks for sharing

31. Thanks for this info. I like to make my own, but my husband likes Greek. I’ll try this for him!