I never realized how easy it was to make Greek yogurt.
About a month ago I started making my own yogurt which the whole family loved. It was a nice consistency and great for making parfaits with, yet there were some mornings I was craving that really thick and creamy Greek yogurt.
Make Greek Yogurt
Let me tell you, I’ll never buy it in the store again – just see how easy it is to make yourself.
- coffee filter
- Put a coffee filter in a strainer.
- Put the strainer over a container (or deep pot like I did).
- Take your regular yogurt (store bought or homemade) and put it in the coffee filter.
- Place the container in the fridge for a few hours up to a whole day depending how thick you like it.
- The liquid that ends up in the container is called whey which I love to use in place of buttermilk. I use it in a muffin recipe that is absolutely delicious – I’ll be sure to share that recipe with you yet too.
- I like to drizzle maple syrup and slivered almonds on my Greek Yogurt.
Once I have my Greek yogurt the thickness I like, I store it in a glass jar or container in the fridge. If I happen to forget about it and it gets too thick, I just mix in a bit of regular yogurt to get get it to the thickness I enjoy.
There are many different ways to make your own yogurt at home and I do plan to share how I make my regular yogurt yet too, for now I hope you enjoyed this easy way to turn regular yogurt into Greek yogurt in just a few simple steps.