Homemade Fruit Rolls

fruit rolls

It’s the season for watermelon! My in-laws brought over 5 huge watermelons for our family. We love watermelon, but we needed some other ways to use it up. We made watermelon juice, but unlike other fruit, watermelon is hard to keep – I mean, you can’t freeze it, so what can you do with it all?

Homemade Fruit Rolls

Let me start by saying this took me a long time to make!

I have tried to make quick and easy versions which just never turned out for me. This way of making them is fairly easy (especially if you have seedless watermelon), but you really do need to be home for a day to make this recipe.

4.9 from 9 reviews

Homemade Fruit Rolls
Author:
Recipe type: snacks

These homemade fruit rolls take a while to make, but they are the perfect little treat for school lunches!
Ingredients
  • Half a large watermelon (or whole small one)
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
Instructions
  1. Peel and slice watermelon and put in a big pot on medium – high heat. Use a potato masher to make into mush – stirring regularly. (It will be very watery)
  2. If you used watermelon that had seeds like I did, you will need to use a strainer now to strain out the seeds.
  3. Add in the honey and lemon juice to the pot with the seedless juice and bring to a light boil – keep boiling and simmering until the mixture has more texture than water but is still runny. This will take about an hour to an hour and a half.
  4. Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
  5. Line 2 large baking sheets with wax paper (or parchment paper).
  6. Slowly pour mixture onto the center of wax paper and use a spatula to bring it close to the sides but not right to the edge or it will make the bottom all sticky.
  7. Do this for both pans and place in the oven each on their own rack close to the middle of the oven.
  8. Keep them in the oven for 4-5 hours depending on how thick the fruit layer is. You will know it is done when it is no longer runny and is not too sticky in the middle.
  9. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes and then roll the whole wax paper and cut.
  10. Makes about 2 dozen depending on size of pan and thickness of roll.

I feel good about sending these fruit rolls to school with my daughters, or to work with my husband. They are delicious and I love that I know exactly what is in them.  I store them in a glass jar, but I can’t really say how long they stay good – they never last long enough in our house to find out.

Have you ever made homemade fruit rolls?

What are your favorite flavors?

If you are looking for other school snack ideas, try out our nut-free bars & our Lovable Lunches Pinterest Board.

Comments

1. Going to try making these fruit roll ups.

I actually do freeze watermelons. I cube them up and freeze them. When the kids want a slushie (aka slurpee in their world), I blend frozen watermelon with fresh watermelon to make them a watermelon slushie.

2. I definitely want to try this recipe. I’ve never experiment with making things like fruit rolls or fruit leathers.

3. THAT is watermelon?! How cool! What a great idea for a HEALTHY snack! Thank you for sharing!

4. Wanda Tracey says:

I find this recipe so intriguing that I actually am going to try it myself.I have a feeling the kids will really like them.Thank you so much for sharing.

5. Jayne Cameron says:

I will definitely try this recipe. Great for hiking.

6. Elizabeth Friesen (@emfriesen) says:

These sound delicious! I know my children and I will love them!!! Like you, we have an abundance of watermelon, but we can only eat so much!!! This recipe is the perfect solution!!! :D

7. Yummy!
    Thanks for sharing! I will have to give this a try!

I may have to try this cooks a long time though.

9. Wow, these are so neat, and so healthy!! Might have to give these a try!

10. Victoria Ess says:

This is such a great idea! It would be great to have fruit rolls without the preservatives and added artificial ingredients.

Sara loves watermelon and this looks like a really fun recipe to bake together.

12. We love watermelon. This sounds delicious.

13. Those sound yummy! They are also a great back to school recipe. Added bonus, my toddler would adore them and they contain no bad ingredients as well.

14. Judy C (Cowan) says:

Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely give this a try. Like knowing what exactly is in the food I feed my family.

15. sounds easy to make and delicious

16. This sounds extremely awesome!!!! I sent it to my mom lol

17. Cheryl Almas says:

Sounds good

18. great after school snack for my boys!

19. My grandmother used to make something like this from apricots – it was my favorite summer treat. But we had our own garden and REAL apricots and I don’t remember the oven part… maybe air dry? Or maybe I just never paid attention to the process :)
    Does the oven need to be turned on for the whole time?

This sounds delicious, and, I’m sure, much more healthy than store bought fruit rollups! I also freeze watermelon, but I freeze it in ice cube trays, then pop them into freezer bags and use them to add flavor to drinks, it tastes great!

21. Jennifer C aka JusticeSadie says:

My Boys love these. I am definitely going to attempt the recipe! Thanks for the share

22. nina bergeron says:

I would love to give these a try.

23. Wow looks delicious!

24. My kids love fruit roll-ups but I am not crazy about the additives. Can’t wait to try this!

25. I haven’t made before but have been thinking about trying! Thanks for the recipe

26. These look so delicious! Going to try these tomorrow

27. Wow, a healthy alternative to fruit roll ups. I love this because you know what ingredients are in it and you can even pronounce them!

28. LOVE this! So nice to know what ingredients I am feeding my children. Yay for real food. Can’t wait to try it.

29. Jo-Anne Pfoh says:

oh ya this is now on the list of recipes to try

30. Jo-Anne Pfoh says:

Kiju organic drinking boxes

31. The kids would love this! Gonna have to give this a try.

32. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’ve been looking for ideas for homemade snacks for my daughter. I’ve seen recipes like this using strawberries, but never imagined you could do the same with watermelon. I am saving this one for sure, and will try it when I can get a hold of some nice watermelon. My daughter will love me for it (watermelon is her favorite fruit)!

33. Jackelyn Duncan (Jacki Aaron Ball) says:

I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for all the great recipes!

34. Thanks for this. It will be a great project to try.

35. Jo Ann Moffatt says:

Thank you for this recipe! My kids just love them and I had no idea you could actually make them at home!

thanks for shring i love new recipes i can make with the kids and i am sure they would love this

37. angie andrews says:

i;ve been meaning to try making my own roll ups for a while now, I really must try some