Waffles and White Sauce

waffles-and-white-sauce-recipe

When I wrote on Facebook the other day that we were going to have waffles and white sauce for supper, I did not expect the response I got. So many people had no idea what white sauce for waffles was. I tried to explain it as a homemade type pudding, but then decided I should share our family recipe.

We live in a small city and Mennonite foods are common here – Waffles and White Sauce is a traditional meal here, served for breakfast, lunch or supper. I was always happy when my grandpa would make them in a cast iron waffle iron over a fire. I of course also loved when my grandma or mom would make them in their heart shaped waffle iron. I do not have a cast iron waffle iron to make them over the fire, or a heart shaped waffle iron, but I still love making them for my family.

White-sauce-for-waffles

Waffles and White Sauce recipes can vary, but they all are quite similar. This is the recipe that my grandma made and that I have hand written in my recipe binder – I’ve been making this favorite recipe for over 10 years!

You can make your favorite waffle recipe or make mine.

Waffles:

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
3 eggs
1/4 melted salted butter

Mix dry ingredients, beat in all other ingredients until smooth.
Pour a scoop of sauce into a greased, hot iron and bake for 3 minutes (or until timer beeps if your waffle iron has a timer).

4.4 from 9 reviews
White Sauce For Waffles

Waffles and White Sauce is a traditional meal here in Manitoba where I live. This recipe is one that my grandma often made, she said it was also very similar to the recipe that our local Mennonite museum makes for our local Pioneer Days.
Ingredients
  • 4 cups milk
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup cornstarch
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
Instructions
  1. Heat milk till boiling, stirring constantly. Stir in ½ a cup of the sugar.
  2. Mix the cornstarch with the remainder ¼ cup sugar and then add that to the hot milk mixture. Keep stirring till it thickens. (You can add more cornstarch to get it to the thickness you like).
  3. Add in the butter and vanilla and stir.
  4. Pour over waffles (or dip the waffles into the sauce like my little girls do).

waffles-white-sauce

So tell me, have you ever tried waffles and white sauce?

Comments

1. Never tried this before! Sounds very delicious! Growing up our grandparents would let us sometimes have ice cream on our waffles. It made for special memories. Now, i eat them with either syrup or yogurt on top. Yogurt is surprisingly very yummy. :)

2. I think I’ll just call it Mommy Moment sauce! lol I bet it tastes great! we only use syrup at our house and sometimes icing sugar sprinkled on if we are feeling really fancy!

I’ve never heard of this before, but it sounds delicious! It would be a nice change from syrup! I’ll have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing! :)

I think I gained 5 pounds just looking at the picture…looks really good!!

5. I had never heard of it. It sounds tasty. I bet it would be good with fresh fruit.

6. Oh Jody, you have no idea how happy this makes me. Growing up in Steinbach too I’ve had this many times but have never made it for my kids. I’m going to bookmark and make this on the weekend for my family :) Cannot WAIT! :)

7. Yummy i have to try making the sauce!! you sure know how to make pictures from food it always looks soo tasty!

8. Thanks for the recipe.

9. looks yummy hope to take pic of my own when I win camera

10. jas starry says:

I am Ravenous just looking at them:P

11. Jenness M says:

I haven’t had waffles in years…thanks for the inspiration!

12. Can’t wait to try!

13. scott macmillan says:

This looks very tasty indeed and so simple to follow the recipe.This would make a good weekend brunch.

14. It looks tasty and no, I have never heard of this sauce for waffles.
    Thanks for your recipe!

15. Anna Johnson says:

This is something I hadn’t heard or thought of, but it sounds like I should give it a try-Thank you!

16. Sandra M. says:

First time I hear of it as well! Thanks for sharing the recipe, sounds delicious!

17. Victoria Ess says:

That white sauce sounds delicious! A great way to change up waffles!

18. Dayna Wilson says:

I haven’t heard of it.. or tried it.. but it looks delicious.

I have never heard of white sauce either! I am sure my dad has, as his relatives on both sides of the family were/are Mennonite. I might have to try this out for his birthday and Christmas breakfast, both celebrated on Dec. 26.

20. Oh my! We love waffles in our home! Again I will give this a try!

21. LOL I like Jen’s comment “MommyMoment Sauce” it is. I adore breakfast for dinner!

22. melissa audet says:

I think w will try this. We live in manitoba and i have never heard of this before. Thanks

23. I live in Manitoba and have not heard of this sauce. I will have to try it. Thanks!

24. jenny nicole says:

I have never tried this before.. AND i have all the ingredients! Awesome! Will be trying this out soon!

25. Huh! I have HEARD of people speak about white sauce and waffles (not surprising, as I also live in MB) but had NO idea what this sauce WAS! I will have to try it out myself :) Thanks for sharing

26. Hi Jody! Thanks for the recipe!
    How long can we keep it (the sauce, I mean)? Or does it have to be eaten fresh?

• Ira, We love it fresh, but we do keep leftovers and then toast the leftover waffles for the next day or 2 with the sauce heated up. I imagine the sauce would stay good as long as the milk does…hope that helps.

27. Florence C says:

Great idea for waffles. I will be trying this with some berries. I usually use fresh whipped cream.

28. Thank you for the great recipe! I will be sharing it with my family this weekend :)

29. I’ve never heard of this either. It sounds interesting. Is it sweet tasting?

30. This sounds yummy! A twist I think my family would definitely enjoy!

31. SueSueper Sue says:

I have not heard of these, I saved this page to try to make it.

Can you just use that same mix to make pancakes instead of waffles?

:-)

32. Totally going to make these for guests we are hosting this year. thanks for the recipe!

33. I have a new waffle maker so will try this sauce.

34. Christina Strapp says:

I have never heard of the white sauce. I will have to try this, sounds good.

35. Christine says:

I have. Been looking for a recipe similar to MHV for sooo long! This is the closest I have found. Thank you!!!!

36. kristen visser says:

oh wow!!! i have never tried white sauce before but my god do i ever want these right about now!! looks so yummy..i must try!!

37. This delicious sauce with berries is the best way to eat waffles. One of my childrens favorite meals. Thanks Jody for sharing one of our Mennonite recipe secrets.

38. D_Julie says:

I’m so happy I thought to search for this today! My mom came from Hutterite lineage in Saskatchewan, and she would make this for us everytime we had waffles. Most times she would also whip up a berry sauce to go with it. She moved to my dad’s community which had no Hutterite/Mennonite background, so none of my friends ever knew what I was talking about. I made this for my husband and baby boy today, but I’ll have to time it better and work on the thickness (Mom’s was quite thick). Thanks for posting!!

• Thanks so much for your comment. Yes, you can thicken the sauce more – I grew up with it quite thick too, although my husband and daughters prefer it a little thinner.
      Thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment. It’s really appreciated.

39. Dorothy Boucher says:

we do a lot of home cooking here, first time hearing about waffles with white rice dressing, sounds interesting :) thanks for share @tisonlyme143

40. This did NOT work, but rest assured; the fault is mine. i did a half recipe. I failed to mix the corn starch with the sugar, so it was an ugly clumping mess. By the time I recooked it and made it scarcely presentable, all but 2-3 Tbs of sauce remained. The rest had evaporated. :) Maybe next time I’ll follow the instructions TO THE LETTER.

41. I have never heard of this dish! Sounds yummy!

42. Doris Calvert says:

Never heard of this but looks different and sounds good, have to try it, sounds like something we would like, thanks!