DIY Body Butter – The perfect last minute gift!

One of the worst things about winter, aside from the deathly cold and horrible driving conditions, is dry skin. My kids and I can’t use most hand creams because of the perfume so we always use base creams which work well but are kind of boring and have no scent. Because of that, I decided to try making a coconut oil based body butter. What you may not know about coconut oil, other than the fact that it’s extremely moisturizing, is that it has antimicrobial healing properties and has been shown to kill bacteria, viruses, fungi and many more harmful things. Two of my family members have actually swapped their night moisturizing face cream for coconut oil and I have seen a significant difference in the appearance and clarity of their skin.

DIY Body Butter final

Here’s what you will need:

• 1 cup of Coconut oil (make sure it’s colder and somewhat stiff)
  • 2 TBSP of Olive or Castor oil
  • 5 TBSP of Aloe Vera
  • 60 drops of essential oil
  • *Optional – 2 ½ tsp of vitamin E oil
  • *Optional – for a stiffer/thicker cream add a cup of Shea or Cocoa Butter (melted in a double boiler, not too hot just enough to melt it) mix in, cool in freezer for 10-15 minutes then re-whip

DIY Body Butter Supplies Needed

In a chilled mixing bowl combine all ingredients.

Mix with a hand or stand mixer for 7-10 minutes or until light and fluffy (do not use a blender or food processor since it will melt the oil so much it won’t whip).

DIY Body Butter Ingredient steps

Scoop mixture into a glass container and seal tightly with a lid.

*Tips if your coconut oil is too warm and you are not getting the right consistency put the bowl in the fridge for 15-20 minutes then mix until desired consistency is observed.

DIY Body Butter jar

If your home stays particularly hot, the mixture will soften or melt. If it does simply put back in the fridge and re-whip if needed.

After having tried the recipe a few times my favorite combinations are Candy Cane (peppermint essential oil and a few drops of cherry or raspberry juice) and Lemon Square (Grapefruit essential oil).

DIY Body Butter finished

I think you will truly love this luxurious cream. This recipe will make enough that you can make a few extras as last minute gifts, your friends and family will thank you.

Nadine is a stay at home mom/professional photographer from Winnipeg who specializes in children and newborn photography. You can see some of her work at www.allurebebe.com. She has 3 wonderful children Caleb 9, Amélie 7 and Leia 2 and has been married to her best friend for the past 10 years. Nadine loves photography, baking, reading, crafting, helping people and finding daily ways to teach all these loves to her children and others around her.

Comments

1. I love your recipe! Bookmarking this – I want to make some for me, trying out different fragrances.

2. I love Nadine’s pictures and the name of this butter

3. Very good idea, I always have coconut oil in the house.

4. I like the idea of knowing what is in it, I may try this next year. This year I made a fabulous facial scrub with coconut oil and brown sugar. I tried a lip scrub with olive oil, but I didn’t like it and it dried out fast. Coconut seems to be the way to go!

5. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

a great recipe, thank you so much for sharing (and the tips too). :-)

6. Mellisa Louise says:

This is such an amazing gift idea! I’m gonna try these.

7. This looks awesome! I’ve always wanted to make my own lotions and body butters at home. I never realised how simple it was! I could save some $$$ doing it myself. Thank you :)

how much do you think it cost to make it, just wondering we made homemade deodorant for a school project and it ended up being so expensive.

9. Melinda L. says:

The photo makes it look like whipped butter :) Good idea, didn’t know it was so simple to make

10. Anne Taylor says:

I have everything in my house to make this! I’ve been using straight coconut oil on my skin, but this sounds lovely. Thanks

11. Judy C (Judy Cowan) says:

Thanks for the instructions on how to make body butter. I have been wondering about making my own. Will have to try it out in the New Year when things are not as busy.

12. I thought this would be challenging but the process sounds quite easy! I will plan this as a great gift idea next year!

13. Susan Hanley says:

I have many family and friends who would appreciate home made body butter as a gift.

14. Hmm body butter.

15. great idea for a teacher! I would love this for myself as well!

16. JENNIFER HART says:

This is the best recipe I have seen so far- nothing I am allergic to in it and make it any scent you want from essential oils! Where did you get the aloe, from an after sun product or can you just buy it pure from a health store? same with the shea and cocoa butter? thanks!

17. Dawn Rader says:

thanks for sharing! what a great idea!

18. What a great idea! Since I am borderline obsessed with body butter, I will definitely be trying this. Thanks so much for sharing this with us :)

19. This is so cool, and saves so much money. What a great gift idea!!

20. I’ve pinned this and am totally going to try it!

21. Lynda Cook says:

Thinking I am going to try this

22. interesting

23. Donna Christianson says:

Great idea might have to try this

24. Victoria Ess says:

This is such a great idea! I would love to receive AND give such a gift!!

I didn’t realize that this would be so easy to make. I like the idea of the lemon square scent and I love grapefruit scented products!

26. Just made a batch of this for myself and gifts. So nice. And smells yummy too. My winter skin thanks you!

27. Awesome! So easy to make. Thanks for the post!

28. So simple to make and these will make great gifts. Thanks for sharing.

This looks like a great moisturizer and I love that I would know exactly what’s in the product!

30. I love coconut oil and use it for a lot of things. I must try this recipe. Thanks

31. Cassondra M says:

Looks yummy!

32. Wow! How easy! Is there not anything coconut oil cant be used for? hah :) Thank you for sharing – I love the idea

33. This sounds so lovely

34. I Love a Good DIY project like this! It gives me a cool project to do with my 12 year old daughter…. or even a project for her to do herself! Thanks for the idea and I will be doing this for myself! I always need a good body scrub for the winter months…. exfoliation is huge! Thanks again for sharing!!!

35. Crystal Englot says:

WOW this would make a fantastic gift! I am going to give this a try and just might be giving these out next year for Christmas!

36. What a great gift idea! Most of my friends have issues with dry skin this time of year. Handmade gifts are so special!

37. I absolutely love this idea!!!! You did an amazing job!

38. Melanie Wilsher Loewen says:

Must try for these harsh winters.

39. I have to make up a batch for myself and my sisters too! They will love it for christmas!

40. Carrie Gosselin says:

This stuff looks amazing!!!

41. Great gift idea! Thanks for the recipe.

42. This looks like a fun recipe. I will have to try it. Would work well as gifts at Christmas.

43. Laurie Harrison says:

I could definitely use this

44. THis is great, an inexpensive way to get an excellent butter! also you know what is in it! Thanks for sharing, bookmarking page, thanks!

45. Ellen Helfand says:

I should really try this…but so lazy!

46. Jen Klassen says:

Yum! That looks like such a great idea!

47. great recipe s…uch a great idea

48. great idea – the best gifts are the ones you make yourself because it comes from the heart

49. Love this idea

50. I never thought of making your own. I would experiment with customizing fragrances. Hmmm…a lavender of sorts would be nice.

51. My BFF loves Body Shop Body Butter but maybe I can convince her to make her own!

52. Wow – this sounds super easy. Maybe I’ll even give it a try!

53. Awesome idea! Thank you for the instructions.

Looks good enough to eat! I love body butter and would be very curious how it turns out.

55. Jane Hammill says:

What a great write up so enjoyed this and looking forward to following your instructions to make my own!

56. Sounds awesome, I make a sugar scrub and have quite a few of these ingredients on hand!

57. Florence C says:

What a great idea and recipe. Thank your for sharing

58. interesting!

59. I love that there are so many uses for coconut oil. This one’s so easy – thanks!

60. Miriam Wilton says:

I’ve always wanted to try making a skin care product to give as gifts. I might have to check this one out!

61. Jaime Brown says:

That is such a great DYI, I am definitely going to try to make this for my daughters and myself, thank you for showing us what we need to do:)

62. Holly Wright says:

amazing idea!

63. Great idea! Going to bookmark this

64. will need to get some coconut oil this weekend to try this

65. Elysia Galway says:

Love this! And all you have to do is put it in a pretty bottle and what a cheap and thoughtful gift!

66. candy kratzer wenzel says:

Love coconut oil. Thanks for the recipe. I use it also in my hair for deep conditioning.

67. Looks really great- will have to give it a try.

68. angie andrews says:

Thanks so much for this recipe I’m going to have to try this

69. My order from Bulkapothecary should be in next week! So excited to make this!

70. I really need to try this recipe, I find myself wasting so much money
    on various lotions.

71. Stephanie N says:

Great idea, I would try using clove and cinnamon essential oils

72. I’m going to have to try this, as soon as I find out where to buy all the ingredients for it.

73. I would love to make homemade gifts for friends and family . Thanks for the recipe it looks great

74. I have always wanted to try making my own body butter but haven’t tried it yet. This post may just be the inspiration I needed!

75. Amy Meahan says:

Would love to make this! Thanks for sharing :)

76. Wendy Arnott says:

This sounds amazing, I really need to get on the coconut oil band wagon! Think I may go lighter on the scent though.. but I can add more after the first whip if I dare!

77. DARLENE W says:

Of all things I am allergic to Aloe Vera, is it necessary to add

78. DARLENE W says:

It would be nice as a hostess gift

79. Rachel Martens says:

Oh I am all over this!!

Great end results and it looks so creamy! Great pictures and instructions all the way through too!

81. DARLENE W says:

great stocking stuffer for the girls

82. I could certainly use some of this. It’s not even winter yet and my skin is so dry.

83. I am big body butter fanatic! This is a great DIY – I’m going to try!