As adults we know that we should brush and floss our teeth. The thing we don’t often talk about is that some of us HATE brushing our teeth.
I have spent a lot of time at the dentist this year. As I sat back in the chair with my mouth wide open, not able to talk, I had a lot of time to think. I wondered what is was that made me hate brushing my teeth so much. I realized that I got discouraged with the cavities I was getting as an adult when it was not something I struggled with as a child. I had sensitive gums that bled easily and just started to hate brushing my teeth.
Here are some tips for people who hate brushing their teeth
1. Invest in a sonicare toothbrush. Electric toothbrushes are a lot easier to use than manual ones. They work well and are surprisingly fun to use. (*See what I think of the Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum below)
2. Watch TV, browse websites or sign your kids homework books. Distraction helps pass the time. I personally tend to walk around the house while I brush my teeth. It passes the time very quickly.
3. Make it a habit. Force yourself to brush your teeth at least twice a day for 2-3 weeks. It’s easier to stick to something once it becomes a habit.
4. Think about it. Really. Think about how awful bad breath smells. It’s disgusting.
5. Turn out the lights. Some people actually have fears of brushing teeth. Try closing your eyes or turning out the lights.
*There is so much I want to tell you about the Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum and why I love it. I really want you to read it so I’m going to make it true Mommy Moment style – bullet points!
- The small neck of the brushhead is perfect. It is not bulky and the bonus is that my daughter with a very bad gag reflex can use it!! (Don’t worry, it has removable heads, we don’t share!)
- It brushes FAST! Apparently it has over 31,000 strokes per minute – I haven’t counted, but is brushes faster than any other electric toothbrush I’ve tried.
- It has a gum care setting. My gums always bled easily. After 6 days of using the sonicare I had no more bleeding gums which I found AMAZING!
- It includes an attached UV sanitizer on the charging base. I like the thought of my toothbrush being in a closed clean area in the bathroom – the thought of toilet flushing germs getting to it kinda grosses me out.
- It has a quadpacer, so you know when to switch to the next part of your mouth. It’s perfect for me since I like to walk around the house while I brush.
- Pressure sensor – genius!! No more brushing too hard.
For people who have never used an electric toothbrush before, I think the easy-start feature is perfect. This feature gently increases the power over the first 14 brushing. This setting can be activated or deactivated but I must admit that I love that the option is there.
I used to think that the price of an electric toothbrush was not worth the investment. I can now say that my opinion has changed. If you have not tried a Philips Sonicare, you may want to ask Santa for it this year!
Have you tried the Philips Sonicare Toothbrush?
Do you have questions for me?