Not Just Another New Years Resolution #TeamTrevJody

Not-Just-Another-New-Years-Resolution

As parents, we work hard to raise our children to the best of our abilities. The thing I have realized after being a parent for 8 years is that in the process of raising our children, our children also teach us.

As a toddler our daughter puked a lot, dozens of time daily. She was diagnosed with GERD. As a mom I did everything I could to make her better, but nothing really worked.  Now at 8 years old Kate controls her symptoms for the most part with food and no medication.  She is the healthiest child I know when it comes to food. I was trying to control what she ate to help her until I realized that she was really listening to her body and eating/drinking what she needed. It was and still is amazing to me to see how she can control her symptoms all by having a healthy relationship with food. Through watching it her, I learned that I have a very unhealthy relationship with food. When my grandma passed away 7 months ago I turned to food as a comfort. Since I already had an unhealthy relationship with food, it was an easy escape for me.

My husband and I have spent many hours discussing our health and our lifestyle and we both decided that we want 2014 to be the year we start making better decisions. We desire to change our lifestyle and not just make yet another new years resolution.  We know this is a long road and it will not be easy. We have both tried “diets” in the past and failed. We want to share our journey with you online. The good days and the hard days too…it’s not about being perfect, it’s about making better choices day by day, and sometimes moment by moment.

This from Trevor (@daddymoment)…

I am not one for New Years resolutions.  Normally I am the type of guy who looks at New Years as a holiday and a chance to rest and have fun.  Well this New Years is going to be a day off and much fun, but this year is also going to be a year of change.  2014 is going to be the year I am going to try and undo everything bad I’ve put my body through from 1998 through 2013.  I have realized I am no longer a lean mean fighting machine, but a large slow incoherent blob that likes the couch and a good sugar laced snack.  There are so many levels that need to be addressed in my life, and I believe this is the first step to success in my new endeavor.  My beautiful wife (@mommymomentblog) and I are going to tackle a new lifestyle starting out by eating real food 90% of the time.
So here online, I am committing to being a healthier person. To fit into those pants and shirts, to be able to run up stairs an not be out of breath, to last more than the first half of a rugby game…and to be there for my children for many many many years to come.  Yes readers, I will be a better whole person.

Please watch our updates here and with the hashtag #teamtrevjody on Twiiter and instagram.

#teamtrevjody

real food

Feel free to share your journey with us too. Support and community are something we all need.

Comments

1. Christine O'Connor says:

Good luck here’s to baggy shirts and loose pants for us all.

2. Elaine Jasvins says:

Good Luck with the new you. I have never heard of the Daniel Plan, I will have to google it. It might just work for me too.

3. Good luck on your journey! Very much looking forward to reading about your progress (and ultimately as it’s life, the odd bumps in the road – which are just that BUMPS in the road – don’t let them derail you!) for 2014 :) I am also hoping to have 2014 be a year of many changes for me..

• Thanks Soozle. I am also posting updates on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. I know it will not be easy, but we can do it. I love that it is something my hubby and kids are a part of.
      I hope you share how your changes go to – it’s great to support each other!

4. Ah, my mother has GERD as well. She finds that spicy foods especially makes her feel terrible. With the help of medication, she seems to be fine most of the time, thankfully. I’ve been trying to eat healthier as well. I eat too much junk food! Hoping I can find some recipes with healthy REAL ingredients that I enjoy. As well, I have been looking into a gym membership. I’d love to tone myself up for the new year. I used to run all the time, but laziness has got to me and I haven’t done much for a couple years. I just went to the grocery store and stuck to almost all real foods. Slowly but surely, I’m making a change!

5. angie andrews says:

Wow, what a great resolution. I like the sound of the Daniel Plan

6. Best of luck-I think doing it together will help you both find motivation. What a great thing to do as a couple. This is the year I am going to walk more, learn to drive stick and eat better. Its called the ‘what the heck was I thinking when I sent in a submission to Amazing Race Canada?’ plan. While I don’t think we will be picked I sure as heck would hate to look like an idiot if I did!

• I am so happy with how our family is working on this new lifestyle together. My January plan was to start with the real food and then in February start adding in more exercise once we have adapted to the new way of eating. I wanted to make this a lifestyle change so I knew trying to do everything all at once would not work for me. I am so happy with how it is going and my husband is so on board which is fantastic. He even helps with the cooking and clean-up!!

Good Luck with your goals and let me know if you get on to Amazing Race Canada, we would love to cheer for you!!

7. Jaime Brown says:

What are those different looking foods in your fridge lol. My hubby and I really need to start eating a lot better, we have been a really bad influence on our daughters and since they are 19 and 16 we don’t have much time to retrain them into eating healthy and getting exercise. My oldest has been having seizures and been to the hospital most of the last couple of months and found out a lot of it was her vitamins were dangerously low. As parents we made sure there was fruits and veg and healthy stuff, but also the bad calories too and didn’t even think when I had to get rid of rotten fruits and veggies, that they weren’t eating them( I am so observant lol) but ran out of the other bad for you food. So now I have to make sure both my girls eat properly their dad and I have to do it our selves.

• Jamie, My family has a long road ahead of us, and it’s a huge learning curve to go to eating real food instead. You can do it though, and I’d be here cheering you on :) I hope you follow along on our journey.

8. Lisa Neutel says:

Good luck with your 2014 resolution… I’ve never heard of this Daniel plan sounds very intriguing

9. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

10. a lifestyle change is great, there are many obstacles but it is worth it in the end. i look forward to reading your journey and hearing about the amazing results

• Thanks Stacie. I am looking forward to milestones along the way. I already notice that I feel more alert and it’s only been 5 days, so although there will be bumps, I’m looking forward to sharing my journey.

11. Elva Roberts says:

Since I think about 90% of your readers are probably in the same ‘boat’ as you and your husband, I, for one, look forward to your steps to a healthier lifestyle. We have changed our diet somewhat but it still contains too much sugar and chocolate. I look forward to your posts and will be cheering both of you and, hopefully, me and my husband as well

12. Michelle Knopp says:

What a great perspective. I’m also glad your daughter is able to better control her symptoms. It is difficult to watch your child suffer. It’s funny how we learn so much from our children.