How to boil eggs perfectly

how to boil eggs perfectly

I have been making hard boiled eggs for years. Since my husband and I have started on our new real food journey, I have been posting a lot of our meals on Instagram. One question I am often asked is how do you make your hard boiled eggs? Do you boil them? Do you bake them? If you boil them, how long do they take?

I decided if one person was curious to know, there are probably a lot more people who want to know, so I decided to share my method with you!

4.7 from 10 reviews
How to boil eggs perfectly
Author:
Recipe type: real food
Cook time:
Total time:

Making boiled eggs is pretty easy, here is my method for making hard boiled eggs perfectly every time.
Ingredients
  • eggs
  • water
  • pot
  • lid
  • timer
Instructions
  1. Put your desired number of eggs into a pot (no more than one layer high).
  2. Add water to the pot until the eggs are just covered.
  3. Place the pot on the element and turn on high (with no lid).
  4. Once the water comes to a roiling boil turn the element off, move the pot to a cold element, put the lid on the pot and set the timer for 20 minutes.
  5. When the timer goes off, pour the hot water out of the pot and add cold water. Leave the eggs sit in the cold water for 5 minutes.
  6. Dry off the eggs and they are done!

how long does it take to boil eggs

Some helpful tips:

• I find the older eggs peel better than fresh eggs.
  • If you can have the eggs at room temperature before starting the process it also makes the eggs a little easier to peel, but I have not done that in a long time, because I am a busy mom and forget to take out my eggs ahead of time.

how to make hard boiled eggs

Having hard boiled eggs in the house is so nice. They make a quick and healthy snack and taste delicious too!

You can sign-up to get an email update each day, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, Blog Lovin’ and NEW Sulia!

Comments

1. Jennifer C aka JusticeSadie says:

Thanks so much for this. I always am guessing when making them for Egg salad or Deviled eggs! This is a Great easy reference. Pinned it! :D Ohh and the Chick Peas are a Major hit and have made 4 batches already. Taking in Lunches and Snacks. This is the Snack of 2014 in our house! Thanks a Million! Love your Blog & Recpies

• Jennifer, Thank-you so much for your comment. I am so happy that you are loving the chickpeas, we can’t stop making them either!
      I heard so many people asking about how to make eggs and make sure they do not turn brown inside, so I figured I’d share how I make them, they turn out every time. Thanks so much for pinning!

2. Jo Ann Moffatt says:

Thank you for this way to boil eggs. It takes the guess work out of it!

3. ever ate duck eggs? :D

4. photomanbc says:

I’ve always guessed at how many Eggs can be boiled in a Pot as well as how long to Boil, this is a Big help for me.

5. Debbie Petch says:

I never tried it this way so I am eager to check it out!

6. I absolutely love eggs! Great post Jody and definitely going to be buying some tomorrow at the grocery store!!

7. I do this all the time. I put my eggs in an ice bath instead of cold water. I also so on the net that you can make hard boiled eggs by baking them in the oven. Havne’t tried that one yet.

I love hard-boiled eggs and take them with me for quick protein fix. Thank you for the tips!

9. now I can make perfect boiled eggs; thanks so much

10. I’m going to give this post to my daughter. She has a hard time boiling eggs perfectly.

11. Jennifer Andrusyk says:

It is ok to make more than one layer of eggs in the pot. I work at a nursing home & we do this all the time. Otherwise it would take forever to boil eggs for 50 ppl!

12. Miriam Wilton says:

i never had a problem hard boiling eggs until i moved from the east coast to the west coast. now for some reason I just can’t ever get it right. they are always just a little under done :( maybe i will give this a try and see if i have any more luck!

• Please let me know how it works for you!

• It could be the altitude, Miriam. The boiling point of water is lower at higher elevations due to decreased air pressure (essentially the opposite of a pressure cooker), so the water won’t get as hot as it did on the east coast and your food will take longer to cook. Your baking may be affected, too — you may need more dry ingredients and higher heat than your original recipe calls for.

I will try your method. I am horrible at boiling eggs! At times I will wait until one cracks and the call the rest “done.” Or if I take them off a bit earlier (still too long), the yolk is discoloured grey/blue and it doesn’t make them look all pretty for things like salads.

14. Tara Gauthier says:

Have you ever tried baking them in the oven. If you google it, you will find instructions. Simply place your eggs in a muffin pan and bake in the oven following the instructions . Someone shared this on my Facebook months ago and it worked like a charm!

thanks for the tips,never again a ruined egg

16. We LOVE hard boiled eggs at our house. They are great for a meal or snack. Too bad we can’t have them at school :(

17. So simple! Its one of those things that everyone has a method, but this works really well.

18. Thanks for the great tip. I always boiled my eggs right through for the cooking. Try adding 1/2 tsp of baking soda to the water.. makes peeling eggs much easier!

19. Christina Ferguson says:

I have always just boiled my eggs until I thought they were done. Yesterday I gave this a try and Eureka..it really works. This is the only way I will be boiling my eggs from now on. Thanks so much for the great tip. :)

20. Christy Peeples DuBois says:

We boil eggs often for salads and as a snack and the whites are high in protein. My mom and I don’t have a problem with cooking them but have tried several methods we have read in order to peel them more easily. The ice bath method is so far what has worked the best but we haven’t tried bringing them to a boil then the lid and letting them sit for 20 minutes. Will certainly tell my mother in the morning and I’m sure we will be boiling eggs tomorrow to try your method. Thanks for the post. Have printed it and pinned it.

21. Lynda Cook says:

I’ve never had a problem with making hard boiled eggs, but I do know if I leave them in ice cold water for a bit till they are completely cooled the shells come right off whether they are fresh or not, I’ve gotten myself one of those egg genie’s and after they are done in that you still have to let them sit in the cold water to peel nice

22. crystal tucker says:

I always wondered how to make the perfect boiled eggs! Mine always turn out too runny or too hard, I will have to try this today!!! It is a lot different than the way I was taught, which was timing them for 8 minutes after they start to boil, leave them boil for the 8 minutes…. Need I say that it never worked out the same! Thanks for the post, I cannot wait to try this!

23. Joni Caraway (trippygrandmaof3) says:

Thank you for sharing this post about the perfect way to boil eggs. I have never tried this but am going to do this next time for sure.

works perfectly

25. Thank you so much for this! Perfect eggs every time. My go to recipe.