Crispy Chickpeas with a kick

roasted-chickpeas

My husband and I have been making many variations of roasted chickpeas to enjoy as a healthy snack. One of our favorite combinations has just the right amount of kick to go with the crisp, which is why we have adopted the name crispy chickpeas with a kick (See our variations below too).

4.8 from 19 reviews
Crispy Chickpeas with a kick
Serves: 8-12

These crispy chickpeas provide a nice crunch with just the right amount of kick. If you do not have time to soak and cook your own chickpeas, you can use canned chickpeas that have been rinsed.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups dried chickpeas
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
Instructions
  1. Take 2 cups of dried chickpeas, rinse them and then soak them in 4 cups of water overnight.
  2. Rinse them again and then boil in water for 25 min.
  3. Strain and set aside.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix all other ingredients. Once it is mixed, add the chickpeas and stir together making sure to coat liberally.
  5. Bake on a cookie sheet at 400 till desired crispiness (about 30-40 min). Be sure to keep your eye on them as they can burn easily. (My husband loves the extra dark ones).
  6. Leave them out the cool. If you place them in a closed container, they will not be crispy.
  7. Enjoy.

____________________________________________________________________________

homemade-chickpeas

Some other favorite seasoning include:

• soak them in HOT sauce for 30 minutes before roasting them – my husband says this is his new favorite!!
  • sea salt & vinegar
  • cinnamon
  • onion & garlic

Have you ever made roasted chickpeas? What are your favorite spices to add?

My husband and I have decided to live healthier this year. Our goal is to eat real food at least 90% of the time. We are adapting recipes to make them work with our new lifestyle.

Some recipes we try are not very good and some we love, so as we find recipes that we can adapt to fit our lifestyle we will continue to share them with you here on the blog each Thursday.

You can follow our journey by following the hashtag #teamtrevjody

You can sign-up to get an email update each day, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Blog Lovin’.

Comments

I tried this last night and yes, they are to die for. Who knew healthy could be so good!

2. Stephanie N says:

This is a great idea for a snack to take to work. I have been looking for some new healthy snack ideas!

3. I’m definitely going to try this… but with no salt.

4. I appreciate that these are from dried rather than canned. Can’t wait to try.

5. I make my own variation of fried chick peas, though with onion, garlic and curry. This variation I’ll have to check out, I love cumin!

6. I have made roasted chick peas before, but they were sweet – I am definitely going to try this out. Thanks! Sounds yummy – I bet they would be good as a salad topper too!

7. Jennifer C aka JusticeSadie says:

This is on my list to try this weekend for a Yummy Healthy snack! YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hope you like them Jennifer – do you plan on using the same spices or changing it up?

• Jennifer C aka JusticeSadie says:

I wouldn’t change a thing all of my favorite flavors /Spices . I can tell this will be my New Healthy snack of 2014! Love this Recipe! Thanks so much. May do Honey Garlic for the Boys but Spicy all the way for me. Metabolism booster! :D

A great move to healthier eating for you and your husband…it will be fun finding healthy foods to try together!! I love chick peas and I never thought of making a treat out of them until I saw your post, thank you…keep sharing :)

9. This sounds yummy. I think when I go to the grocery store tonight I will be buying my missing ingredients for this and make it on the weekend.

I’m definitely going to try this,they look so good !

11. Amy Heffernan says:

These look really good and really easy to make. Hubby and I are also trying out best to eat healthy. I think this is something HE will like. lol Thanks.

12. Oh my! This recipe looks so good! Can’t wait to try it out :)

13. I have tried to make these before but they didn’t turn out crispy! I’m going to try again using this recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

14. Andrea B. says:

These look so awesome! I have always wanted to make these, and now I think I will do it today. Thank you so much for the review and recipe.

15. Tara Page says:

These look so great, I will try them asap.

16. I am going to try this recipe, looks healthy and really tasty and easy to do.

17. I’m going to try these this weekend. My boys love chickpeas. ..me not so much. Maybe this will make e change my mind. :)

18. Annie Demill says:

my new favourite snack, love these!

19. This looks really tasty. I normally eat chickpeas in bean salad (or hummus) but will definitely try this.

20. Sonia Sharma says:

Can we add some raw onions and tomatoes for added taste?

21. seham merzib says:

yum!!

22. Suzanne G says:

What a great substitute snack for the potato chips my husband so enjoys plus much healthier for him.

23. I like the alternate seasonings you offered as I can’t tolerate spicy foods.

I am so making these, perfect when you crave a treat

25. These sound really good, I may have to try it!

26. healthy snacks are important in our house and this is one I am definately going to try Thank you for the recipe

27. My husband would absolutely love this recipe.

28. Carol Roberts clark says:

these look good and i can bet they taste just as good as they look thanks

29. that looks really tasty. sadly i’m allergic to chickpeas

30. I’ve never made roasted chickpeas, but I love them sauteed with onions, curry powder and pepper – super yum!

31. Kristine Ewald says:

Love this, looks delicious

32. Glenda Wong says:

sounds delicious! I’ll have to try this!!

33. Thanks for posting this. I’ve tried to roast these in the past and they were mushy. Bleck. I will give this recipe a go!

34. jessica s says:

I’m trying to eat healthier, will have to give this a try!

35. kristen visser says:

oh wow do these ever look delicious!! going to give this recipe a try :) thank you!!

36. Judy C (Judy Cowan) says:

I have never been a fan of chick peas but maybe if they were crunchy with a kick I would change my mind…..I think I might just have to try this recipe out and see what I think :)

37. Sabrina T says:

That’s the simplest healthy snack I’ve read of in awhile. I think I’m headed to the store to get some dry chickpeas!

I made roasted chick peas last night for supper and they are delish,loved by all

39. Amanda Wilcox says:

Love chickpeas, definitely better than grabbing potato chips.

40. Oh my goodness, these look so yummy!!! I need to make these I love chick peas!

41. laurie nykaza says:

I just love chickpeas and this looks a great way to eat them. I love things with a kick too so will be making these for my family soon.

42. I have made a cinnamon version of these before that was really yummy

43. Have not tried but will they look interesting.

44. jackie reid says:

I’m going to try this. Looks amazing, something my son may love

45. I can see these being very addictive. They look easy to make.

46. Elaine Jasvins says:

I run a healthy snack program at the local public school, I am going to have to try this. Thanks.

47. BobbiJo pentney says:

I need to try this, chickpeas are full of protein.

48. I tried this today and they are great! I’m a vegetarian so I’m always looking for high protein snacks that are delicious. Thanks!

49. I definitely going to try these ! I love chickpeas in salads, etc- as a snack they look awesome

50. Must try these!

51. These look different and crunchy and delicious!

52. Christina Ferguson says:

I have made these several time but last night I tried your seasoning mixture and I have to admit it was better than mine..lol. I love these chickpeas as a snack but I also put them on top of my salads like you would croutons. They add a zesty kick. :)

53. We too love crisped chickpeas! I will have to try your spice mix. Thanks for the healthy snack recipe. :D

54. They look so delicious , I want to try them . Do you buy the chickpeas already dried?

55. we do these often, season them differently each time, don’t think I ever did the same mix twice.

56. I will definitely have to try these.

57. I made these for my kids and they loved them! Thanks for the great healthy snack recipe!

58. Love these

59. can these be made using canned?