Our update on living a healthy lifestyle

On January 1st, along with people all over the world, my husband and I made a new years resolution – but not just another new years resolution.

Before I go any further, let me tell you – I never knew real food could taste so good. Be sure to scroll to the bottom to read the “Jody Says” and “Trev Says” updates.

healthy-lifestyle

Every Monday here on the blog I plan to update our journey. I will share some pictures from my Instagram feed as well as let you know how my husband and I are doing. On Thursday’s I will post a recipe – one of the recipes that we are enjoying while on this journey.

This salad was delicious! It was pretty too.

We were all satisfied after having this warm quinoa breakfast bake one morning. Mmm it was good.

If you have been reading the blog for a while, you already know that my daughters LOVE eating chicken feet. Although the hubby and I do not eat them, this roasted chicken sure hit the spot.

Trevor NEEDED these crispy chickpeas to get him through the day. I’ll let him update you on that at the end of the post. You are lucky, I already posted the crispy chickpeas recipe for you all.

I think the following picture speaks for itself, this salmon was mouthwatering to say the least.

Snacks have been a crucial part of making this new healthy lifestyle possible.

Jody Says: I’ve gotta say, those first few days of getting off refined and hidden sugars were tough! After the first few days I began to feel a lot better. My mind seemed clearer and my husband says that my whole mood seems to be happier. I try to be over prepared by bringing water and snacks with me when I go out. I do not want to get caught feeling starving when I am in a tempting environment. If my husband was not helping me come up with meal ideas and food prep I’d be lost, so I am so happy that we are in this together. As far as the question I know you are all wondering – has weight come off? Yes. Although I have lots of weight to lose, that is not my goal. My goal is to be healthy. I believe scales are for fish so although I weighed myself at the beginning, I plan to use my clothes as my measurement for now…the great news is that they are already feeling looser. Size is not what determines beauty – so I’m glad this is a healthy lifestyle change and not a diet.

Trev Says: 2 weeks in and I’m feeling better. With help from my wife I have stuck to my new lifestyle. I’d be lying if I said it is always easy. I still crave sugary snacks, and really want a big bowl of cereal (aka crunch berries) before bed – BUT the cravings are getting less with each day and I feel more coherent. I no longer have afternoon slumps and the crispy chickpeas have saved me many times over with their satisfying crunch.

So tell us.
How is your journey going?

You can follow our journey by following the hashtag #teamtrevjody

You can sign-up to get an email update each day, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+ and Blog Lovin’.

Comments

1. Way to go! The sugars… the sugars! They are everywhere aren’t they?

2. You two are doing wonderful on your new journey. It is great that you both support each other.

What are those yummy looking crackers in the snack picture? You need to share the recipe for the quinoa breakfast. It looks delish too!

• Thanks for your comment Brandy!

The crackers are called Mary’s Organic Crackers. They are basically just seeds. They are crispy and our whole family loves them.

Thanks for telling me that you would like the quinoa breakfast recipe, it’s good to know which recipes my readers want me to post. I plan to post a recipe every Thursday.

3. I have to watch my sugars right now due to Gestational Diabetes and its true–they are everywhere!!

4. nicolthepickle says:

Those chickpeas look really delicious and I’m not a huge chickpea fan.

5. Congrats on sticking with your journey so far! Cutting sugars out is such a challenge… I struggle with that tremendously!

Looking forward to reading more about your journey :)

• Soozle, it really is hard. I found that after cutting it out completely, my cravings went down. I am glad you will be following along on our journey. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

6. These healthy meals look delicious! Thanks for the inspiration – I’m trying to get healthier and these are some great ideas!

7. Absolutely fabulous Jody!!! I love your photos and am so inspired by your determination and willingness to make the necessary changes! The fact your husband is in this with you shows the love you share for each other and it melts my heart! Looking forward to reading more of your journey each week!!!! *Hugs*

• Awe, thank-you Kristen. I appreciate your kind comment and the support you have been showing to both Trev and I on this journey of ours. I’m glad you want to keep following our journey. It’s good to have the online support and accountability.

8. Breanna Reilly says:

Wow, amazing job on your journey to healthiness! I have really been trying to focus on a healthy lifestyle – especially after a sad holiday binge.. but like you said, I have found that with the support of your loved ones, it really does make all the difference! I love your snack ideas and the crispy chick peas and the quinoa breakfast both look fantastic! Thank you for sharing recipes, and best wishes in the future. It seems like you are well on your way to great success! Thanks again for the tips and motivation! Cheers :)

• Breanna,
      Thanks so much for your sweet comment. It is not easy, but having the support of my husband means the world to me. I am glad you like the post and find it motivational. I wish you the best on your journey – I hope you continue to follow along here and let us know how you are doing as the weeks go on.

9. I totally hear what you are saying Trevor about the reduction in afternoon slumps – I haven’t had to drink as much coffee since being on my healthy journey!

You two are doing great!

Jody, I would LOVE the recipe for that Quinoa Breakfast Bake :)

• Thanks for your comment Amanda. I am so happy that people are supporting both Trevor and I on this journey.
      I plan to post a recipe every Thursday, and I think by the comment so far, the Quinoa breakfast bake will have to be one of them.

10. Thanks for sharing these recipes I’m always looking for new and healthy meals and snacks for myself and family. Sugars seem to be everywhere.

I look forward to hearing about you and your husband progress and more of your recipes.

11. Wanda Tracey says:

I love your journey to healthy living and am going to follow you.I will be looking for your real food ideas on thursdays.You have inspired me to look at food differently already.I love everything you posted right down to the delicious salad and Mary’s wholegrain crackers.

12. That salad looks really yummy and light and refreshing!

13. Christina Swenson says:

Yum! I want to try that quinoa bake. My daughter would probably love it to.

14. Viv Sluys says:

My husband and I are wanting to start changing to real foods too! Those chick peas look amazing. I like that eating real food isn’t a ‘dieting’ thing and I could still snack. Good luck as you continue this life of real food!

15. That’s awesome! Making healthy lifestyle changes are not easy but always worth it! I know you will be successful because you can do anything you set your mind to! :)

16. Jenness M says:

I love to hear about another persons path to a healthier lifestyle! I lost 40 pounds in 2013 via the Dukan diet and have kept it off. Eliminating sugars is the way to losing weight.

17. The crispy chick peas looks yummy! OMG, what am I saying-all these recipes look appetizing!

18. Tara Gauthier says:

It is so nice to see you focusing on achieving a healthy lifestyle, although your goal is to loose weight too. I have too many friends who merely focus on loosing some weight for a few months (by starving themselves) and then glide back to eating whatever including lots of processed foods. It’s a vicious cycle.

19. It’s great that you and the family are trying to eat healthier this year. We are also trying to achieve a healthier lifestyle but I must say that I am struggling with having healthy snacks. I checked out the Crispy chickpeas recipe and it sounds awesome, just what I have been craving.

20. ellen chevarie says:

first let me say the salad looks divine.cant wait to try.that being said,my daughter is a health nut,which slowly has been rubbing off onto me.i now exercise.(not as nuch as her) but getting there.im also eating healthier.shes a great cook and ive learned a whole new way of cooking.our recent healthy life style thing is jucing.every evening we have been experimenting wiith new and different recipes.its soo good.heres to a fabulous healthy year!

21. That all looks very healthy and yummy. The crispy chickpeas sound and look very tasty for snacks

22. Congrats on making this decision! The food looks delicious!

23. Heather H says:

good job ! I would suspect it is twice as hard with children in the house ! Those chickpeas look delicious !

24. MIchelle L says:

Thank you for this post.

25. This is great! Looking forward to following you and your husband’s journey as you switch to a healthier lifestyle. You guys are doing amazing so far!

26. Jashley Da Cruz says:

Love this post!! I love food, and am trying to eat healthier. Definitely gonna try to make some of these recipes

27. way to go Jody We try and stay away from sugars here as well…What I found even harder fonding foods that have no MSG and NO ASPERTAME in them MSG has so so many different names and its hard but we do it and my son with autism feels so much better not being on either I m happy for him and happy for you as well Hard job starting it but well worth it in the end

• Thank-you so much Tina!! I know exactly what you mean. Who would know that “celery extract” is actually MSG?! Ugh – it is hard, but we do our best.
      I am allergic to Aspartame so I have learned how to stay away from that years ago.

• I have scowered the internet for months and got all the other names for MSG then shooped in many stores to find what was the perfect food with no msg or aspertame then I had a binder cut of the package of what it was in pasted it on a paper and wrote the name of the store I did this for my sons autism BUT mostly for his seizures I had him on it for 4-5 months (WOW VERY EXPENSIVE the food is) then took him off for 5 months now to see if there was any difference in his seizures or behaviours NOT really at all BUT we are still trying to stick to it still We need to do what we need to for our health right :) (Y) Aspertame is horrible stuff

28. It’s tough to make lifestyle changes. Good for you both.