Tips for Taking Pictures in the Cold

Since most of North America has been experiencing an almost never ending cold snap for the past few months, I figured a post on taking pictures in the cold would be quite fitting.

There’s nothing more fun than taking pictures of kids in snow. Whether capturing your child coming down a hill on a sled at full speed, building a snowman or skating for the first time, there are a few things you must keep in mind when bringing your camera into the cold.

Tips pictures in the cold

Tips for Taking Pictures in the Cold

• If your picture is comprised of mostly white snow, try over exposing your picture a bit as your camera will most likely see the snow as gray and causing your picture to look too dark.

Pictures in the cold 2

• Do not use your flash if it’s snowing. The light of the flash will illuminate the snow causing bright, out-of-focus blobs to take over your picture.
  • Bring along either fingerless gloves or mitts that turn into fingerless gloves. This will allow you to be able to access your camera controls easier while still staying warm between pictures. If you’re planning on being outside for long time consider putting hot packs in your mitts to keep warm.
  • Since the cold tends to drain batteries very quickly, I highly recommend bringing along an extra set or two. Keep them in a sweater pocket in the inside of your jacket so your body temperature keeps them warm and charged. You can also keep your camera inside your jacket between shots, this will help to extend your battery life as well.

Pictures in the cold

• Never blow on the glass of your lens outside as this will create condensation.
  • Never bring your camera inside to change a lens on a DSLR. Doing this can cause condensation inside your camera body.
  • Make sure, with any kind of camera, to bring them carefully into the house from outside. Put them in a sealed plastic bag or dry towel while still outside. Once inside place the in the coldest part of the house and wait at least 10-15 minutes before unwrapping. This will allow your gear time to warm up slowly. The last thing you want is condensation building up in your camera or between the glass of your lenses.

Pictures in the Cold 3

Here’s hoping the weather starts to warm up soon so we can all get out there to make amazing memories with our kids and start enjoying the great outdoors again!

Nadine is a stay at home mom/professional photographer from Winnipeg who specializes in children and newborn photography. You can see some of her work at www.allurebebe.com. She has 3 wonderful children Caleb 9, Amélie 7 and Leia 2 and has been married to her best friend for the past 10 years. Nadine loves photography, baking, reading, crafting, helping people and finding daily ways to teach all these loves to her children and others around her.

Comments

1. kristen visser says:

awesome tips !! thank you so much. i find these very useful since i just got a new camera and was wanted to go out and capture some shots in the snow :)

2. Florence C says:

Great tips. Lately I have been putting my camera in my pocket on my walks. When I take it out to use it showed low battery. I have a rechargeable battery and it usually lasts a long time when charged. Thanks for the information.

3. Those are some great tips!

4. With our freezing temps in winnipeg these tips are definitely handy!

PS- You forgot tips on how to hold a slurpee AND take good pictures at the same time. :P

5. photomanbc says:

As far as bringing along an extra set or two of batteries, Keep them in a Ziplock Bag so that the Positive Ends don’t touch each other, or whatever your carrying them in could catch Fire!

6. danielle t says:

Love the pics. you are really great with the camera. thanks for the tips

7. Darlene Schuller says:

Excellent tips thank you!! I have been learning my Canon Rebel… thank you for sharing I’m so new to photography,well, decent pictures anyways.

8. Wanda Muise says:

Great tips thank you!!!

9. this is really good advice, thanks!

10. Marti Smith says:

Thanks for sharing such great tips with us. Being that it is finally snowing here for a change these tips will most def come in handy . YAY

11. Great tips!

12. Mary Williams says:

These are great tips! I wish it would warm up a bit around here so I go outside and take some pictures of my son in the snow! It’s just way too cold to go outside lately!

13. Wanda Rountree says:

Love the tips thanks for the help

14. awesome tips I sure can use so thanks for them.

15. Thanks for the tips! Winter is probably my favorite time of year to take pictures!

16. Elizabeth says:

I love photography. Thank you for the tips :)

17. Debbie Fitcher says:

Great tips .I didn’t know that batteries drained fasterin the cold.

18. I rarely take pics outside in the winter, but with these tips, I’m eager to get out there! Great tips thanks!

These are really great tips, thank you…several that I hadn’t even thought of!

20. Stephanie P says:

Great Tips! Can’t wait to try!