Adding a bathroom to an old house

I love my home. It is a small heritage home that was built around 1925. We purchased it from my grandparents before they passed away. Our home has a lot of character. Renovations often involve a lot of creativity, especially when it comes to adding a bathroom to an old house.

Partnering with Home Depot to create a bathroom space in our basement would prove to be one of those times where we had to be creative. Very low ceilings (under 7 feet), limited floor space and a tight budget put our creativity to the test.

The result has me smiling!
before-after-bathroom-pics

We decided that to make the most of our limited space we would combine the laundry room and bathroom. This would make the space feel a lot larger.

before-picture-bathroom

I am so glad we decided to go that route because now I feel like I have a beautiful space instead of 2 tiny rooms. We added a drop ceiling as well to cover the wires and plumbing etc and it makes the space feel so much brighter and inviting.

bathroom-renovation

Home Depot really has products for every budget. I liked that they had a good selection of Eco-options available. The faucet for our sink, the ventilation fan, exhaust hood and even the spray foam were all eco-friendly options.

bathroom-remodel

I was very impressed that for under $1800 we got a shower base, walls and doors, shower head, faucets, medicine cabinet, towel bar, toilet paper holder, robe hook, hand towel ring, fan and exhaust hood, lighting, bulbs & more.

Our home only had one bathroom. With a husband, 2 daughters and regular overnight guests, a second bathroom was something I really wanted. This bathroom may not make the cover of a magazine, but it is absolutely perfect for our family. If you are looking to add a bathroom to your home it is possible!!

*** If you would like to enter to win a $100 Home Depot Gift card, go HERE to enter. The bonus code word “Eco-friendly” will give you extra entries.***

disclaimer

Comments

1. I love the vintage touch with the beadboard cupboards above the toilet. Well done!

2. Looks absolutely FABULOUS Jody! I LOVE Home Depot’s selection!
    How long did the project take to complete? We started demolishing our bathroom in the fall. I can’t wait to get back on it during the spring. We are completely gutting it and starting over.

3. Lynda Cook says:

WOW!!!! what an awesome job well done, I too have very low ceilings in my basement, we were going to put a bathroom in but I thought because of the low ceilings we wouldn’t be able to, but you proved me wrong..lol, I love how it all turned out and it looks so roomy and big and it does not even look like you have low ceilings, once again I love it!!!!

• Thanks so much Lynda. The shower was 77 inches and the ceiling was 78 inches, so it was a tight fit, but turned out so well. Thanks for your kind comment. If you decide to add a bathroom to your basement you will have to let me know how it goes. Home Depot has so many great options to make it work in a small space.

since its an Heritage home did you have to get permission to do the renovations. we looked into purchasing a heritage home but I didnt want the hassle. bathroom is gorgeous! love colours

• We decided not to get the Heritage Home Plaque for on our house for that exact reason – I love keeping the character of the home, with new touches. You can see a good example for how we kept the old window frames when we put in the new kitchen. Just search “Kitchen Renovation” on the blog to see it :)

5. Judy C (Judy Cowan) says:

The bathroom looks great! Good idea to combine to the laundry room with it to maximize space usage. Sounds like you got a good deal on all the products too!

6. throw the towels in the dryer while in the shower for nice warm towels.

7. M Thompson says:

Such a beautiful reno – inspiring me to work on something similar next summer.

8. oh that’s really clever to combine the bath and laundry! love it!

• Thank-you so much Jennifer. I am so glad we combined the 2 so we can have a bigger space. It turned out so incredibly well. I was trilled that Home Depot had a shower to fit even though our ceiling is so low.
      Thanks for leaving a comment!

9. You did a wonderful job. I love they way you used up the space, it looks great!

10. Cheryl Grandy says:

Beautiful new bathroom! Combining it with the laundry room was a great idea. Someone who owned our home before we bought it decided to save space in the bathroom by putting the toilet in the shower! It looks strange, but it works. And it’s really handy to have a second shower in our home (There wouldn’t have been room for the shower in a standard bathroom layout).

11. Well done! A second bathroom is so necessary! :)

12. Very nice! I also love the splash of colour in the curtains and the little 1/2 wall. It looks terrific and you will wonder how you ever did without!

13. Debbie White Beattie says:

Your bathroom is awesome, I wish I could convince my husband to put one just like it in my basement. I love how it’s a combination bathroom & laundry room.

14. I do love the lighting here. With a low ceiling height and the wrong sort of lighting, basement space can feel awfully cramp and not inspiring for any use.

15. That was a big job, but it came out beautiful. I like the machines in there too. Very common in Europe

16. Your bathroom is looking great. I used to have a big bathroom and laundry room in our last house and wish I had it back again. Seeing yours makes me envious. :)

17. You did a fabulous job! It all looks amazing!!!

I absolutely love how your bathroom turned out! You made great use of the space!

19. Wow you did an amazing job!

20. I t looks great! I really like the style of your sink. The overhanging lip gives it a neat look.

21. Belinda McNabb says:

You did a great job, the end result from what you started off with is amazing!

22. susanne mccarthy says:

We have one bathroom for me, hubby and our FOUR girls! wish we had space to add another bathroom…yours looks awesome!!

23. nicolthepickle says:

It’s really cute. We have the same vanity cupboard sink combo in our bathroom. It’s from Home Depot too.

24. looks like a lot of work but well worth it and you will definitely see a return on this renovation when you go to sell. excellent work!

25. Carol Denny says:

You did a great job!

26. Erika Birrell says:

Wow, it looks great!!! Bathroom reno’s are such a big job, we did ours a cuple years ago and I couldn’t wait for it to be done lol

27. It is perfect dirty clothes go straight from kid to washer, and kids can get in washer aka shower at the same time!

28. What a great use of space. I think the bathroom looks great!

29. Looks really good! Loving the corner shower!

30. Angie Smith says:

you did a spectacular job!! way to make such good use of that space.

31. @copperjane Janie N says:

We did this too. It is a lot of work! Lucky we lived only blocks from a Home Depot at the time. Even though you make a list we always were running for something we needed. Exchanges were no trouble which I love about them. We even got a price match. Yours turned out great

32. looks very well done

33. Wow! Now that’s a before and after! Gorgeous!

34. kristen visser says:

oh my god! what a huge improvement and difference! it is so gorgeous and i love the modern white and the floors are absolutely stunning

35. We had a similar renovation when we added a bathroom to the basement and the ceiling was low. So worth it though!

36. The after picture looks so good!!!! Awesome job!

37. Wow, I think it came out fabulous! Great job and payoff for your work!

38. Andrea Amy says:

Looks great. I like how you use the space to your full advantage with the corner shower and the washer and dryer. Looks really bright too!

39. Florence C says:

Wonderful Job and a great use of space. I do like the cupboard over the toilet. Another smart way to use space.

40. wow!! looks really nice!

41. Wow! What a difference! You’re bathroom looks great; very modern. How cool that you live in a heritage house. I guess it takes a lot of planning to do up keep/ remodeling in a heritage home though. I love Home Depot because you can do so much without ‘breaking the bank’. We put a new tub in and we thought it was going to be tight on our budget but we did good thanks to Home Depot.

42. Great you were able to use Home depot for your bathroom renovating needs. I love that store

43. Love the additional bathroom! Having renovated a second bathroom myself in our century home before we sold it it brings back memories! Very satisfying. Could not have done it without Home Depot either!

44. Fanterra Fisher says:

Hey if there is a will there is a way. Just need the right info, people and products to pull it off.

45. I really like that you combined the space with laundry too. Doesn’t need to ‘grace’ any covers, simply needs to work for you!

46. Haylie Langwald says:

That’s quite the change!

47. Crystal Englot says:

This is exactly what we did! Added a bathroom in our basement of our old house! So happy that we chose to do this, just need to finish it now

48. Those machines are beautiful, jealous

49. Looks awesome!!! Great job!

50. Wow! Your bathroom looks fantastic! We had 3 bathrooms in our last house and we only have 1 in this house. We would love to add a bathroom in the basement especially as the girls get older.

51. DARLENE WISSENZ says:

Renovations of any kind can be very stressful. Your bathroom looks fantastic! My home was built in 1913, we had to gut it, replacing and rebuilding everything, the headaches were many but the result is beautiful.

52. What a wonderful change. It is so rewarding to have all the hard work with renovations turn out so good.

53. Wow the transformation is incredible! We want to add a bathroom to our basement. I could only hope it would be gorgeous.

54. Diana Powell says:

Beautiful space ! Love your creativity !

55. Great information here. Thank you for sharing.

56. Great job!

57. Robyn B. says:

Looks great Jody! Good job! :)

58. So smart to have an extra bathroom:) Good job!

59. Wow! You did an amazing job.. YOu can never go wrong with having an extra bathroom in the house – especially with 3 females in it :)

60. Leigh-Ann Murphy says:

Well done and awesome. I admire all the DIY skills!

61. Lori Bazan says:

My home was built in the 40′s so not quite as old as yours but we need to fix up the downstairs bathroom!!! The cost factor is a huge concern but after seeing how cost effective and great your washroom turned out I am inspired!

62. WOW! Amazing renovation! and a valuable addition to any home! I love your washer and dryer! Gives new meaning to “Wash Room”! lol

63. Looks amazing! Great job

64. Angie Andrews says:

Wow what a great job, the new bathroom looks amazing!

65. Lori L. - @Miss_Elles says:

Wow, you did a fabulous job! Love that you combined the laundry with the bathroom – it looks so big! Enjoy your new space!

66. Elizabeth D. says:

What a great use of space. Very inspiring.

67. JaimeeM says:

This is so awesome, we have thought often about adding a bathroom into the basement of the house we just bought. Such great ideas!

68. Elva Roberts says:

I think your new bathroom addition to an old house was a wonderful success. The ‘before’ and ‘after’ pictures are amazing.. Kudos to your workers.

69. Mishelle says:

You made a lovely space from a not so lovely one! I have a question though – when you put in the plumbing did you have to get a special toilet that would push the water up to the sewer line? When I put the washer and dryer downstairs I had to make sure my washer would push the water up.

M

70. Victoria Ess says:

What a change!! I can’t believe how much value you got for the money you spent.

I went to Home Depot to purchase a new medicine cabinet…I broke the mirror!! Your renovations look great!

72. Dianne G. says:

You did a great job! What a nice transformation.

73. Really nicely done! We’re looking to add a bathroom to our basement as well, and I’d thought about combining it with the washer/dryer to make the most of the space, so it’s nice to see a good reno showing just that!

74. Wow, love the look !! Well done !! Really liking the flooring you chose.. from the tiny glimpse there is in there photo :)

75. Marg Smith says:

You did a fabulous job-great use of space. I love the vanity and the storage shelves.

76. Kelly Colby says:

Great tips!

77. sharon boyle says:

Great job…love the “new” look!

78. Donna L. says:

Great job making that second bathroom!

79. great before and after photos

80. Sherry K says:

Great looking bathroom and amazing you fit everything in.

81. angela m says:

Wow it looks great, and so bright looking

82. Stephen K. says:

Good ideas for anyone doing a reno

83. Wow you guys did an amazing job making all of that fit in a small space

84. Debbie S. says:

The new bathroom looks fantastic!, and the white is so fresh and bright. You have made great use of all the space in the bathroom! I love your shower, it’s eye pleasing. You got great bang for your buck too at Home Depot!

85. This is encouraging. I have been afraid to take on such a challenge, but I love your results. I never thought of combing laundry with it. I’m sure the plumbing was easier this way.

86. Melinda L. says:

It’s amazing how a few things can transform the basement into an awesome washroom. Great job!

87. katy emanuel says:

Looks fantastic. We can totally relate to renovations in an old house. Our home was built in 1867 and neglected for many years before we purchased so we have been slowly renovating our place. Unfortunately we do not have a usable basement that we can add a bathroom to like yours.

88. sarah sar says:

WOW!!!!!!! awesome bathroom, love the look of the entire thing. thank you for the inspiration…we’re going to be renovating our basement and want to add a bathroom in there.

I think it is awesome! You made a nice bright place for both laundry and extra facilities! All you need is a desk in there and you have a perfect hiding place!

90. The bathroom looks awesome and I concur one large room was the way to go

91. Wow this looks amazing…..older home sure are a challenge to renovate but you guys did a great job making the most out of a small space!!

92. That’s an incredible transformation! I’d love to do some work on my kitchen.

Your bathroom turned out great, it’s nice and bright, too! My bathroom needs re-doing, but it’s so small and could only add another in the unfinished basement.

94. Carol M (Lushka S) says:

Awesome job and awesome price!

95. Great renovation. I need to touch up my bathroom too.

96. BobbiJo pentney says:

This makes me believe that my home is not totally lost and it is possible to have a beautiful bathroom too.

97. Such a beautiful transfermation l love it Doesnt it feel so great to see the difference Congrats

98. Angela Zwaagstra says:

Lovely when you can update and still have the charm and character.

99. Sharlene says:

Would love to do the same – our house doesn’t have a main floor powder room and we have 4 kids..1 full bath upstairs and a partial bath in the basement that desperately needs a reno.

100. It looks good, I’m glad it worked out for you!