Granny Smith Grilled Cheese Sandwich

granny-smith-grilled-cheese

April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Day! Grilled cheese sandwiches, does it get any better than that?!?

Since my family has switched to living a healthier lifestyle, we have tried to find ways to adapt recipes to better suit our way of eating. Of course we still want them to look and taste delicious!

This Granny Smith Grilled Cheese Sandwich was made and enjoyed by my husband Trevor. He let me take a few pictures before sneaking a bite…(thanks babe!)

grilled-cheese-apple

4.5 from 4 reviews
Granny Smith Grilled Cheese
Author:
Recipe type: Sandwich
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 1

The granny smith apples, honey and cinnamon pair beautifully with cheese to make this delicious version of a grilled cheese sandwich.
Ingredients
  • 1 granny smith apple
  • 2 tsp of cinnamon
  • 2 tsp of honey
  • 2 slices of hearty seed, sour dough or sprouted grain bread
  • 1 tbsp of butter
  • 3-4 slices of cheddar cheese (We like to use Bothwell Cheese)
Instructions
  1. Thin slice granny smith apple and sprinkle the slices with cinnamon (about 5 minutes total.)
  2. Fry the apples in butter till dark, making sure to flip and fry both sides.
  3. Spread a thin amount of honey on warm apple slices while still in pan to melt. Set aside.
  4. Butter 2 slices on bread, put the buttered side down in the pan, place apple slices and cheddar cheese onto the bread and then top with another slice of buttered bread (buttered side up).
  5. Fry on both sides over medium heat till the cheese has melted (about 5 minutes total.)
  6. Enjoy!

apple-grilled-cheese

Here are some other grilled cheese recipes you may want to try: Hawaiian Grilled CheesePesto and Bocconcini Grilled Cheese and Jalapeño Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

Check out our food on Instagram and Pinterest too!

Comments

1. Sounds delish!!! I will definitely be trying this!

2. kristen visser says:

omg looks so good! thank you for helping to decide what im going to have for lunch :)

3. Mmm this looks so good! I love the addition of the apple & cinnamon…YUM!

4. Looks great. I often make grilled cheese and Apple quesadillas. So yummy.

5. I’ve heard of putting apple in grilled cheese yet I’ve never tried it, looks delish so I’ll have to!

Mmm…I bet this would be amazing on sour dough. I will have to give it try, sooner than later!

7. Christopher Sorel says:

yum sounds tasty

8. ooo sounds very delicious!

9. Debbie S. says:

What a great idea! I’ll have to try this, looks so good!

10. Judy C (Judy Cowan) says:

Never thought about putting apple in my grilled cheese before but it is the perfect combination so I will have to try it out, thanks for the recipe!

11. Erika Birrell says:

Wow!! Never heard of a grilled cheese with apples and cinnamon in it! I bet its yummy! I will have to try this as grilled cheese is a big favorite in our house!

12. Lynda Cook says:

my my my, this looks so good, I have never tried an grilled cheese with apple before, but there is always a first for everything

13. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I love my grilled cheese sandwiches and this sounds like a very nice and delicious alternative :-)

I will definitely be trying this,i love new ideas to try for breakfast.thanks

15. Elva Roberts says:

This is a marvelous and healthy idea to insert apple slices into a grilled cheese sandwich. This is a very innovative idea and I plean on using it . Thank him for this recipe.

16. I have done apple and cheese sandwich before but I am not sure why I never though about turning it into a grill cheese… will I ever have to try this.

Trackbacks