April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Day! Grilled cheese sandwiches, does it get any better than that?!?
Since my family has switched to living a healthier lifestyle, we have tried to find ways to adapt recipes to better suit our way of eating. Of course we still want them to look and taste delicious!
This Granny Smith Grilled Cheese Sandwich was made and enjoyed by my husband Trevor. He let me take a few pictures before sneaking a bite…(thanks babe!)
- 1 granny smith apple
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tsp of honey
- 2 slices of hearty seed, sour dough or sprouted grain bread
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 3-4 slices of cheddar cheese (We like to use Bothwell Cheese)
- Thin slice granny smith apple and sprinkle the slices with cinnamon (about 5 minutes total.)
- Fry the apples in butter till dark, making sure to flip and fry both sides.
- Spread a thin amount of honey on warm apple slices while still in pan to melt. Set aside.
- Butter 2 slices on bread, put the buttered side down in the pan, place apple slices and cheddar cheese onto the bread and then top with another slice of buttered bread (buttered side up).
- Fry on both sides over medium heat till the cheese has melted (about 5 minutes total.)