Salsa is a must-have in our home. I love having homemade salsa on hand because it comes in so handy for many meals and it also makes a healthy snack. Last fall we had a lot of tomatoes given to us, so I made batch after batch of salsa to have us stocked over the winter.
- 10 large tomatoes
- 4 red peppers
- 2 orange peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 3 medium onions
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp pink salt
- 3 rounded tbsp taco seasoning
- 4 tbsp chicken bouillon* (see note under recipe)
- 8 oz tomato paste
- black beans and corn (optional to add color)
- Peel tomatoes (I pour boiling water over mine to make pealing easy).
- Put all ingredients (except beans and corn) in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 hour.
- Add beans and corn (if desired) and bring back up to a boil.
- Can or freeze.
* We do not eat packaged bouillon, so I just add more pink salt, you can also make your own homemade bouillon.
Do you enjoy salsa? What are some of your favorite ways to use it?
Here are some recipes I’ve shared that use tomatoes:
Here are tomato recipes featured on other blogs: