Essential Oils – I have to admit that although I had heard of essential oils, I had not really paid much attention to them. I was not really sure what they were, or what the purpose of them was.
Many of you know that I have been focusing on my health this year. One of the ways I have been doing this is by seeing a naturopath doctor along with my general practitioner. When my naturopathic doctor recommended that I use tea tree oil for the rash I have on my chin I thought I should get more familiar with essential oils as a whole. That is when I was introduced to My Life’s Essentials.
Julie, from My Life’s Essentials teaches everyday moms how to use natural alternative for their healthcare needs with essential oils. She introduced me to therapeutic grade essential oils made by dōTERRA®. I learned about the many different uses for various oils and I decided to try out some of the oils on myself, my husband and my daughters.
I’ll start with myself – I have used various essential oils, I will share the 3 I have used the most…
- First I used the Melaleuca (more commonly known as tea tree oil). I decided to use this one first since it is the one my naturopathic doctor recommended. I put this one on the rash on my chin once a day and noticed a difference after just one use. Melaleuca essential oil is renowned for its cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the skin. It also promotes healthy immune function.
- Next I used Lavender. I put 2 drops into my bath water one night when I was feeling anxious, then I used one drop topically before I went to bed. Lavender essential oil is known to calm anxiety and sooth emotions and I did fall asleep easily that night.
- I have been very busy this month and found when I would sit down to work I was not concentrating very well. I used Peppermint essential oil to help keep me alert. Peppermint promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing and it is also known to help alleviate upset stomach.
Next, my husband.
- Trevor plays rugby – if you know rugby, you know it means a lot of bumps, bruises and sore muscles for those who play. I used a few drops of the Deep Blue combined with coconut oil as a rub for his back. He loved the smell and said that the first word that came to mind was soothing. Deep Blue is dōTERRA®’s combination blend of Wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, blue chamomile, helichrysum and osmanthus. This blend works together to ease achy joints and sore muscles. Its effects are deep and penetrating with sustained results.
- My 8 year old fell asleep one night and she was coughing and coughing. I decided to try the Breath respiratory blend. I rubbed some on her chest – she opened opened her eyes and said she did not like the smell, but she fell right back asleep – the coughing settled right down and when she woke up the next morning there was no more coughing, I was really quite shocked.
- Both of my girls love playing outside. Living in Manitoba we have a lot of mosquitos this time of year. I did not have bug spray along at the girls soccer game, but I did have the peppermint essential oil in my purse. I put some peppermint oil behind the girls knees, in the bend of their arms and behind their ears – it seemed to keep the bugs away for just over an hour – after the hour the mosquitoes were back, but it was a healthy alternative and I was impressed that it worked at all. (I think I would look for a recipe to make bug spray using the peppermint oil next time, but since I had it in my purse I used it how it was).
Now here is something that has never happened to me for the entire time I have done product reviews – I was so impressed with dōTERRA that I am considering selling the product myself. I have not made any commitments, but I think it would make sense since I know I will be using essential oils from now on.
I just shared my personal experience with a few of the essential oils and blends – I have a lot more to learn and a lot more to try. I want to use the lemon essential oil in my cleaning, the peppermint oil on my toothbrush and so much more. I received a guide to natural solutions for 250+ ailments, so I am sure I will be testing for a long time to come.
If you are curious about essential oils I hope you will come to Julie’s FREE webinar – just register here. At the end of the webinar, one participant will win a prize. Julie will be able to answer question and give you more information about using essential oils.
Julie is also offering an incredible giveaway to a Mommy Moment reader from Canada. One lucky winner will get to choose $100 worth of essential oils of their choice. To enter the giveaway, use the Rafflecopter form below.
***Giveaway is now complete. Please see our WINNER’S PAGE for winner’s information***
UPDATE: I loved the essential oils so much and we kept seeing such incredible results that I decided to start selling oils as well. Julie helped set me up, so now if you are interested in oils yourself, you can contact me directly.