Too Many People Spend Money They Don’t Have [Money Quotes]

It’s a reality that people like to spend money. The problem begins when people start to spend money they do not have.

money-quote

Money is a hot topic these days and it’s no surprise.

One of my favorite quotes is this…

“Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like.” – Will Rogers

I believe it is important to be an example to our children about having a healthy relationship with money.

Whether you make ten thousand dollars a month or a thousand dollars a month is not really what it is about – it is about being smart with what you have.

5 Money Quotes

“Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I’ll tell you what they are.” – James W. Frick

“Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.” – Proverbs 13:11

“Not he who has much is rich, but he who gives much.” – Erich Fromm

“It’s good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven’t lost the things that money can’t buy.”  – George Horace Lorimer

“Never spend your money before you have earned it.” – Thomas Jefferson

Money Tip

• We have sub accounts set up at our bank. On payday we have $10 – $50 deposited directly into those sub accounts that are for saving for things like kids lessons, vacation, insurance, savings etc. We have found that we do not really notice the money going into those other accounts and it has helped us to save for things that we would not normally have money for.

Do you have a money tip to share?

Jody-arsenault-blog-signature

Comments

1. In all honesty, just to live below your means. Enjoy your life, but ensure you are saving enough for your future as well.

2. Money is all about income and expenses.. Know your income (after taxes only!) and know your living expenses and its simple math. Be willing to look at alternatives, a 29$ answering machine from Walmart beats paying the phone company 400$ a decade (3$ a month, 12 months, 10 years plus taxes).

3. Darlene Schuller says:

I love quotes, this one is one of my favourites.

4. Julie F says:

This is so true, I am of the opinion if you don’t have it don’t spend it, apart from mortgages and cars of course!

5. Florence C says:

Love the post. I hate it when people you know can’t spend every cent they get fast enough and when you do something or buy something you saved for they say I wish I had the money to do that.

I have to reel my hubby in when it comes to spending I have to keep reminding him “no mon no fun”

7. melanie Borhi says:

I agree that this is so true as people are always trying to meet up with social status pressure by spending more money they don’t have!

8. Ronald G says:

It is so true that people are so busy trying to buy status, that they forger about the costs to family life.

9. Aarti Missra says:

My mom was a big saver, I think that rubbed off on me. Of course, growing up I never cared about having the latest whatever (even after I started working during the summers and had the option of buying things), I thought it was a waste of money.

10. Jennifer P. says:

My parents taught me at a very young age never to spend money I didn’t have, e.g. with my credit cards they had said if I didn’t have the cash available at the time of purchase, not to purchase it in the hopes of having the money to pay it when the credit card bill came. Thus I have never owed a cent on my credit cards, as I have always had the money to pay them off in full each month, and the only debt to my name is my mortgage. It was such an important lesson that kept me out of debt trouble, and I will be teaching my children the same thing. I think the quote “Never spend your money before you have earned it.” from Thomas Jefferson sums it up! Looking back, it was tough as a teen and college student to see my friends buying lots while I had to hold back, but I don’t miss any of those outfits etc that I never had. :-)

11. Eva Mitton-Urban says:

Great quotes to live by. Quite simply enjoy all the little things everyday family life has to offer. Don’t focus on *What You Don’t Have”, concentrate “On What You Have”. Gives one a new insight at how very rich we really are. Money can buy material stuff – but you can’t buy tenderness/love/laughter and the utter bliss on getting a hug from your son or a wink for a well prepared hot meal at the end of a long shift.

Eva Mitton-Urban

12. Tara Gauthier says:

I have sub accounts too. One for bills that are paid once a year like house and car insurance, newspaper, city utilities and property tax and I put in enough to cover them off at end of year. I also have accounts for savings for vacation/wants and another for unexpected bills.