One of my favorite drinks is Apple Cider. I love making Slow Cooker Apple Cider, because I love the smell of it simmering throughout the day. Of course, turning it into a butterscotch apple cider is always a treat too.
- 4 L - apple juice (unsweetened)
- 4 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 small star anise (or half a big one)
- 1 orange sliced (with peel on)
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- Pour your apple juice into the slow cooker (you may also use cranberry juice)
- Put the spices into a spice bag and add to the slow cooker (or add straight in and strain before serving)
- Add in the orange slices.
- Turn the slow cooker on High for 2-3 hours or Low for 4-6 hours.
- Take spices out before serving. You may top with whip cream, or add your choice of sweetener if desired.
I use homemade apple juice (just fresh pressed apple juice that I can from my own apples) but any unsweetened apple juice will do. You can get fancy with it and use cranberry juice instead.
I like my apple cider on the more tart side, if you want it sweeter you can add in sugar, honey or any sweetener of your choice.
If you do not like to have all kinds of different spices on hand, you can purchase Epicure Mulling Spices and add 8 tsp of it to the 4 L of apple juice. I would still add the fresh orange slices if you can, but if you do not have it, the spice has the peel in it, so it’s convenient.
If you are feeling extra ambitious you can serve the hot apple cider in cored out apple cups or drizzle with whip cream and butterscotch.
You may also enjoy these 13 hot drinks to make at home.
You can sign-up to get an email update each day. You can also connect with us on:
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience.