It’s lunch week here on Mommy Moment and I couldn’t miss the opportunity to talk about how leftovers make great lunches.
Baked macaroni and cheese using local Bothwell cheese is a favorite in our home, so I try to make extra and then the next morning I put it piping hot into a thermos for the girls to enjoy at school.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This baked homemade macaroni and cheese with bacon is creamy and delicious. Be sure to make extra as the leftovers will not last long.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4 cups cooked macaroni
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded old Bothwell cheddar
- 3/4 cup shredded Bothwell black truffle cheese
- 1/2 package of bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni 6-8 minutes or till desired firmness.
- While cooking macaroni, fry bacon till crispy.
- Shred both cheese’s together in one container.
- Drain macaroni – while it is straining in a colander , put butter into the pot that the macaroni cooked in.
- Add the cream and milk and stir together. Slowly add in the cheeses constantly stirring. Once it is smooth, add the macaroni and crumbled bacon.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese sauce to a buttered oven safe casserole dish with a lid.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Add chopped onion greens before serving if desired.
- (This recipe can easily be doubled for school lunch leftovers – if you like it creamier, you can always add more cream)
Do you ever pack leftovers for your children so they can enjoy a hot lunch?
Have you ever tried Bothwell Cheese? I grew up on it, and nothing compares.
My husband made a Poutine Dog using the Bothwell Squeak’rs -aka cheese curds- and now all his friends think he is a hero!
Linked up at OrgJunkie