Since our family switched to eating real food in January, we have started to make many things from scratch. One of the staples my husband loves is homemade mayonnaise. Homemade mayonnaise is quite easy to make and only uses a few ingredients.
Since getting a vitamix, we have been making different variations of mayo and this latest homemade garlic mayo was a huge success. It is a great addition to a sandwich and boasts full garlic flavor. We like using lemon or lime essential oil in this recipe.
Homemade Garlic Mayonnaise
- 2 extra large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cloves of garlic, pealed
- 2 Tbsp lime (or lemon) juice OR 1 drop of lime (or lemon) doTERRA essential oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil (we used Arbosana olive oil purchased from Prairie Oils and Vinegars)
- Place the eggs, egg yolks, garlic cloves, lime (or lemon) juice and salt in the vitamix. Start blending on low and work your way up to high speed and continue blending for about 15 seconds or until the garlic is completely blended in.
- Turn the vitamix speed down to number 7 or 8 on the dial.
- While it is blending, remove the lid plug and slowly pour the olive oil through the lid plug opening until the oil is all added and the mayo begins to thicken up (about 30 seconds).
- Pour the mayo into a mason jar and put in the fridge – it will last for 3-4 weeks.
Note: If you have trouble because there is not enough liquid to blend up the eggs/garlic you may have to increase the amounts or double the recipe depending on the size of the blender jar. I used the 32 oz Vitamix blender jar for this recipe.
Did you know that April 19th is National Garlic Day?
If you love garlic, you may also enjoy some of these other recipes (from contributors and myself) that feature garlic on the blog: andouille sausage and sweet potato soup, zucchini lasagna and cheese tortellini and beef soup.